Solving Question through Inertial Frame: Challenges & Workings

In summary, when solving problems in an inertial frame, it is necessary to include a fictitious (inertial) force that converts the problem to an inertial frame. This is because torques must be considered about a fixed point in space, not about a point on an accelerating object. Without this inertial force, the calculations may be incorrect and lead to improper calculation of torque.
Spector989
Homework Statement
A rectangular plate is placed on a rough plank. Dimensions of the plank is as shown in the figure. Find:-
minimum acceleration with which the plank should be moved so that the rectangular plate topples (conside the friction is sufficient so the plate does not side).
Relevant Equations
Torque = r×F , friction = u.N , F= ma
So i solved this question through non inertial frame but how do i solve this through inertial frame , when i used to solve only translation question when i observed through non inertial frame the main difference was in inertial frame Fnet = 0 and in non inertial frame Fnet -ma =0 (ma being pseudo force ). But now the absecnce of ma (psuedo force ) in FBD leads to improper calculation of torque. How do i solve this through inertial frame . My workings in non interial frame and FBD for inertial frame are given in the picture attachment

Attachments

• 20221108_193740.jpg
    20221108_193740.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 100
Physics news on Phys.org
PF prefers you use Latex to show your workings as opposed handwritten solutions. See the Latex Guide

When you solve the problem as you did, you are not using Newtons Laws in a non-inertial frame. We are applying a fictitious (inertial) force that converts the problem to an inertial frame. So, you DID solve it in an inertial frame.

erobz said:
When you solve the problem as you did, you are not using Newtons Laws in a non-inertial frame. We are applying a fictitious (inertial) force that converts the problem to an inertial frame. So, you DID solve it in an inertial frame.
So the inertial force is Necessary?

erobz said:
PF prefers you use Latex to show your workings as opposed handwritten solutions. See the Latex Guide
I am on my mobile and it will take me ages

Spector989 said:
So the inertial force is Necessary?
Using Newtons Laws, I believe so. What other method did you have in mind?

erobz said:
Using Newtons Laws, I believe so. What other method did you have in mind?
Well the inertial force is fictious so i thought if i don't Include it in the fbd and observe from the ground i could have solved it somehow

Spector989 said:
Well the inertial force is fictious so i thought if i don't Include it in the fbd and observe from the ground i could have solved it somehow
You did observe it from the ground though. Those calculations are w.r.t. a frame of reference fixed to the ground?

erobz said:
You did observe it from the ground though. Those calculations are w.r.t. a frame of reference fixed to the ground?
So why include the inertial force ?

Spector989 said:
So why include the inertial force ?
So...here is the problem (I think). Separate the block from the sled and do a FBD of the block. ( Ok never mind, I see you did that).

What is the force of static friction you calculated (I believe this is the point of confusion)?

Last edited:
erobz said:
So...here is the problem (I think). Separate the block from the sled and do a FBD of the block. ( Ok never mind, I see you did that).

What is the force of static friction you calculated (I believe this is the point of confusion)?

Attachments

• 20221108_203554.jpg
    20221108_203554.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 47
Force of friction = ma , m is the mass of the block accn is the, a is acceleration of platform as the block and platform are moving together

I get ##a > \frac{g}{2}## w.r.t a frame of reference fixed to the ground by summing the torques about the CM of the block.

In post #11:

The normal force is not applied to the CM. Where would the point of contact be when the box begins to tip?

Spector989 said:
So i solved this question through non inertial frame but how do i solve this through inertial frame ,
It's conceptually more difficult in the inertial frame. Note first that torques must be considered about a fixed point in space; not about a point on an accelerating object (*).

As the block accelerates, the angular momentum about an origin (perhaps at the point where the rear of the block begins) is increasing. That requires a torque about that point, which must be provided by ##mg##, as the accelerating force provides no torque about that point. If ##a## is large enough, then ##mg## is not sufficiently large to provide the required torque and the block starts to topple.

PeroK said:
It's conceptually more difficult in the inertial frame. Note first that torques must be considered about a fixed point in space; not about a point on an accelerating object (*).

As the block accelerates, the angular momentum about an origin (perhaps at the point where the rear of the block begins) is increasing. That requires a torque about that point, which must be provided by ##mg##, as the accelerating force provides no torque about that point. If ##a## is large enough, then ##mg## is not sufficiently large to provide the required torque and the block starts to topple.
So the constraint is that mg must be able to handle the angular momentum?

PeroK said:

Is the shifting of ##N## to the corner of the box a manifestation of the inertial force?

(*) PS consider an object falling under gravity. Now, there appears to be a torque about a point on the side of the object. Let's say it's a sphere, then this torque would be ##mgR##, where ##R## is its radius. And the sphere ought to rotate. But, the same applies to the apparent torque on the opposite side. It ought to rotate in the opposite direction as well.

The answer is that you have to take the torque about a fixed point in space and in that case the increase in AM of the sphere about that point is provided simply by the sphere's linear acceleration (without rotation!) under gravity.

erobz said:
Is the shifting of ##N## to the corner of the box a manifestation of the inertial force?
In the non-inertial frame, yes. Any normal force forward of the rear is only adding to the anticlockwise torque in this case. The first thing that happens is that the normal force increases towards the rear, up to a maximum of ##mg##. That's what happens when you stand on an accelerating vehicle: the amount of weight on your back leg increases until that leg bears all your weight.

Likes erobz
Spector989 said:
So the constraint is that mg must be able to handle the angular momentum?
Provide the torque for the required increase in AM, yes. You should do the problem this way (in the inertial frame). It's more complex for sure.

Using the non-inertial frame was the simple way to solve the problem.

PeroK said:
Provide the torque for the required increase in AM, yes. You should do the problem this way (in the inertial frame). It's more complex for sure.

Using the non-inertial frame was the simple way to solve the problem.
Could you show me how to solve this using relation between angular momentum and torque , if it is complicated i can try and understand if not i can always stick to the easy method but the whole reason i made this thread was to better my concepts

Spector989 said:
Could you show me how to solve this using relation between angular momentum and torque , if it is complicated i can try and understand if not i can always stick to the easy method but the whole reason i made this thread was to better my concepts
$$\vec \tau = \frac{d\vec L}{dt}$$Which, for planar problems can be simplified to$$\tau = \frac{dL}{dt}$$where for the x-y plane the AM and torque vectors are in the z-direction.

Likes Spector989
An important point is that if we have a particle moving with constant velocity ##v## along the line ##y = h##, then it has constant, non-zero angular momentum about the origin of ##L = mvh##. And, if it is accelerating along that straight line, then the angular momentum is increasing:$$\frac{dL}{dt} = mah$$And the linear accelerating force represents a torque about the origin.

Some introductory texts imply that angular momentum applies to "rotational" motion, but this is wrong. Angular momentum applies to straight line motion - and indeed all motion.

Likes Spector989
PeroK said:
An important point is that if we have a particle moving with constant velocity ##v## along the line ##y = h##, then it has constant, non-zero angular momentum about the origin of ##L = mvh##. And, if it is accelerating along that straight line, then the angular momentum is increasing:$$\frac{dL}{dt} = mah$$And the linear accelerating force represents a torque about the origin.

Some introductory texts imply that angular momentum applies to "rotational" motion, but this is wrong. Angular momentum applies to straight line motion - and indeed all motion.
Yeah , i was confused too when we were taught that but when our teacher gave us some examples and plotted in on a graph made sense

Likes PeroK
Thanks for the help , the topic makes more sense now :)

Likes berkeman

1. What is an inertial frame and how does it relate to solving questions?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's laws of motion hold true. It is a frame of reference that is not accelerating or rotating, and therefore, the laws of physics are consistent and can be used to solve questions. In solving questions through an inertial frame, we can use the principles of inertia, force, and motion to analyze and understand the behavior of objects.

2. What are some common challenges when solving questions through an inertial frame?

One of the main challenges is identifying the appropriate inertial frame to use. Since an inertial frame is a frame of reference that is not accelerating or rotating, it can be difficult to determine which frame is most suitable for a specific question. Additionally, the complexity of the question and the presence of external forces can also pose challenges in solving questions through an inertial frame.

3. How can an understanding of inertial frames help in solving questions?

Understanding inertial frames allows us to apply the laws of physics to solve questions accurately and efficiently. By identifying the appropriate inertial frame, we can simplify the problem and focus on the relevant forces and motions. This understanding also helps in predicting the behavior of objects and making accurate calculations.

4. Can inertial frames be used to solve questions in all areas of science?

Yes, inertial frames can be used to solve questions in all areas of science that involve the principles of motion, force, and inertia. This includes physics, engineering, astronomy, and other fields that rely on the laws of physics to analyze and understand the natural world.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving questions through an inertial frame?

Inertial frames have numerous real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of objects in space, analyzing the forces and motions involved in car crashes, and understanding the dynamics of moving structures like bridges and buildings. They are also used in navigation systems, aircraft design, and many other fields that require an understanding of motion and forces.