Calculate Max Lever Length for Toppling Block

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the formula for determining the maximum length of a lever before a block falls over. The height of the block and its center of gravity are also mentioned. The purpose of the project is to find out the point of rotation and the equilibrium condition, but the speaker is unsure which formula to use. Additionally, they mention including extra work related to finding the balance in a similar situation.
Saints-94
Moderator note: Thread moved from technical forum so formatting template is missing

Hi, I have a block with a specified weight and a lever with a force at the other end. I was hoping someone could tell me what formula i need to work out the maximum length of lever before the block falls over.

Attachments

• Toppling Force.png
    Toppling Force.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 570
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there. This homework ?
And: how come you don't worry about the height of the block ?

Thanks for your response.

Yes. Sorry, the height of the block is 1100mm.

Thank you for the response to the second question. Now how about the first one ?

Yes, it is for a project.

Fair enough. Around what point (axis) will it rotate when it topples ?
Where does gravity act ?
Just before it topples, what is the equilibrium condition ?

The CoG of the block is in the centre of the block, and I assume the block will topple at the bottom right point?

I am unsure what formula to use to work out the equilibrium and toppling?

Isn't the aim of the project to find that out ?

No, this is additional work I wanted to include but needed some guidance on what formula to use. No worries if you can't assist, its not essential work.

Hmm... what's the non-additional work, then ?
When is a balance with unequal arms in equilibrium ? (do you see the similarity with your case ?)

1. What is the purpose of calculating the max lever length for toppling block?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the maximum length of a lever that can be used to prevent a block from toppling over due to gravity. This information can be useful for various engineering and construction projects to ensure stability and safety.

2. How is the max lever length calculated?

The max lever length is calculated by using the formula L = h * (m/M), where L is the lever length, h is the height of the block, m is the mass of the block, and M is the mass of the counterweight. The result of this calculation is the maximum length of the lever that can be used to prevent toppling.

3. What factors affect the max lever length?

The max lever length is affected by the height and mass of the block, as well as the mass of the counterweight. Other factors that may impact the calculation include the shape and stability of the block, as well as any external forces acting on the block.

4. Can the max lever length be greater than the height of the block?

Yes, the max lever length can be greater than the height of the block. This is because the counterweight used in the calculation can effectively offset the weight of the block and prevent it from toppling over, even if the lever extends beyond the height of the block.

5. How is this calculation used in real-world applications?

The calculation of max lever length for toppling block is used in various engineering and construction projects to ensure stability and safety. It can be applied to structures such as buildings, bridges, and retaining walls to determine the appropriate length of a lever or counterweight needed to prevent toppling. It can also be used in the design of machinery and equipment to prevent tipping or falling over.