Why Is Steiner's Law Applied Differently in These Physics Problems?

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the new center of mass and the use of the Parallel Axis theorem in relation to the moment of inertia. The first question involves comparing the sums of mvr before and after, while the second question raises confusion about the use of Steiner's law and the unchanged center of mass.
Physics news on Phys.org
I= I+ mr^2 makes no sense. It is equivalent to mr^2= 0.

Hi transgalactic! :smile:
transgalactic said:
{rod with 2 or 3 masses}
here they colculate the new center of mass
and do the sum of mvr before equals the sum of mvr after

but here {dancer with outstretched arms}

they are doing the shtiner law I=I+mr^2
but why arent they shtiner law in the first question too
??

First, it's Steiner's law … and nearly everyone calls it the Parallel Axis theorem anyway :wink:

Second, it's I = IC + mr2, where IC is the moment of inertia about a parallel axis through the centre of mass

In the second question, the centre of mass doesn't change, so I don't see how they can be using Steiner's law

1. What is "Toque center mass question"?

"Toque center mass question" is a term used in physics to refer to the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed, resulting in a balanced rotation.

2. How is "Toque center mass question" calculated?

The "Toque center mass question" is calculated by finding the center of mass of an object. This can be done by taking into account the mass and distribution of the object's components.

3. Why is "Toque center mass question" important?

"Toque center mass question" is important because it helps determine the stability and balance of an object. It is also crucial in understanding the motion and rotation of objects.

4. Can "Toque center mass question" vary?

Yes, the "Toque center mass question" can vary depending on the shape and distribution of an object's mass. It can also change if the object's components are altered or moved.

5. How is "Toque center mass question" used in real life?

"Toque center mass question" is used in many real-life applications, such as engineering and design, to ensure the stability and balance of structures and machines. It is also important in sports, such as gymnastics and diving, to achieve proper form and balance.