1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toricelli’s Principle

1. May 10, 2007 #1
    OK - I'm working on Toricelli's Principle at the moment. That is, a tank where theres a small hole at the bottom and we're supposed to plot h (height) vs. t (time), V_jet vs. t, mass flow rate vs. t, and change in height vs. t.

Now - I get a linear graph for V_jet and mass flow rate vs. time, but a non-linear curve for h and mass in the tank vs time. And I can't prove it.

We're neglecting any internal energy transfers, etc. just plain old V = Sqrt(2.g.h)

Any help muchly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If "mass flow rate" vs time is linear, rate= kt, then mass moved out of the tank will be quadratice in time: (1/2)kt2; so of course, the mass in the tank will be quadratic.

4. May 10, 2007 #3
    Let mass vs t is v(kg/min) so : h' =-A*v( A is a constant)
    And we can see that v is linearly propotional to h or v=B*h
    then combine the two we have:
    h'=-C*h
    Solve this differential equation, we have the function h=D*exp(-k.t). So h=f(t) is not a quadratic, it's an exponential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?