Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torn to tears

1. Dec 2, 2006 #1
    How often do you cry?

I tear up sometimes more than once a week, cry several times in a year, and have a really good sob every five years or so. Without religiously taking my medicine, the story would no doubt be different.

I recall crying more at the death of my cats than that of my parents. The cats I lived and slept with (one actually jumped off of my bed and collapsed - dead - the other I held when he was being euthanized). Contrawise, I had watched my parents slowly deteriorate over the years at their nursing homes, perhaps having more control over their situation with the help of staff and not actually seeing them die.

Sobbing? As an adult, when having my first nervous breakdown at Yale; having my nose broken; listening to an account of how a Navy chaplain won the Congressional Medal of Honor; and worrying that I might be arrested for medicine-induced mania.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think a good cry once in awhile is healthy. You shouldn't keep your emotions pent up. That's why sometimes I really enjoy a good tear jerker movie. Same goes for comedies, laughing and crying are therapeutic.

I can understand you crying more over your cats, they're friends and companions and they are also so dependant on us. Watching your parents deteriorate over time, death almost becomes a welcome end, you are more psychologically prepared for it. At least that is how it was for me when my dad died after being paralyzed by a massive stroke the year before.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  4. Dec 2, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I don't. In fact, I have to apply artificial tears before a pool game so I can see properly. For some reason, though, outdoors in our balmy -40C climate, I seem to have almost normal tear production when my eyeballs start to freeze. :rolleyes:

5. Dec 2, 2006 #4
    I hardly ever do, I tend to keep my emotions pent up inside me which probably isn't the best thing to do.

6. Dec 2, 2006 #5
    I don't cry often, but when I do, I do it well.

7. Dec 2, 2006 #6

verty

Homework Helper

I think crying is overrated. I see crying as trying to elicit sympathy, proclaiming your problems rather than trying to solve them. Instead of crying, set about fixing them.

8. Dec 2, 2006 #7
    An old indian once told me that the eyes are the window of the soul, and occasionally it is good for them to be washed.

9. Dec 2, 2006 #8

Evo

How do you fix a dead pet?

10. Dec 2, 2006 #9

verty

Homework Helper

You accept death...

11. Dec 2, 2006 #10
    That is much easier said than done, especially if it is the death of a friend, pet or family member. Crying is a normal part of the healing process.

AND

http://dimdima.com/science/science_common/show_science.asp?q_aid=196&q_title=How+we+cry

12. Dec 2, 2006 #11

Evo

And crying is a normal part of the grieving process. Pretending you don't feel grief is not a good thing. How is someone trying to gain attention when they cry alone?

13. Dec 2, 2006 #12

verty

Homework Helper

Put it this way. The last time I cried was 9/11, and not because I knew anyone who died or even because people died but because there were people in the world who are bent on killing and I can't change their minds. I mean I didn't for tsunamis or Katrinas or whatever.

When my best friend died in a motorcycle accident, I didn't cry. When a good friend and his mother (not young people) died when their house caught alight, I didn't cry. I didn't express hopelessness at my incapacity to change what happened, I accepted it and moved on. Admittedly, 9/11 (that people would do that) is more difficult to accept.

I don't grieve my incapacity to change fate but I do grieve my incapacity to change people.

14. Dec 2, 2006 #13
    Evo,

Like tears, you've given me clarity and insight about my cats, Benjamin and King Friday, and my gracious parents. How about tears of happiness, folks?

15. Dec 2, 2006 #14

verty

Homework Helper

I've never cried tears of happiness. I don't understand them. What could make a person so happy that they cry? If it is something like a prisoner being released, I would think it is more relief than happiness.

16. Dec 2, 2006 #15

Evo

It sounds like you have an inability to express emotions.

17. Dec 2, 2006 #16
    Happy tears, the first time I held my Grandson, I cried and laughed at the same time.

I can't imagin what its like to not feel the full range of emotions, how very dull the world would be.

18. Dec 2, 2006 #17

radou

Homework Helper

That's a nice experience. I cried and laughed at the same time a few times, too..

19. Dec 2, 2006 #18
    actualy iv found that really good crys dont make me feel any better. i can remember thinking "i cant hold em back any more... now that its gone this far i might as well see how far it goes" and just crying till i cant any more. it didnt help any, i just didnt feel like crying any more

20. Dec 2, 2006 #19
    Some of these posts remind me of the movie Garden State...

21. Dec 2, 2006 #20

verty

Homework Helper

The world is not less dull because you have emotions, the world is what it is. Do you think it's dull?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?