Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tornado alert tomorrow

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    Evo, Dlgoff

Better recheck the shelters

Screen+Shot+2012-04-13+at+12.55.37+PM.png

http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspot.com/

All the best.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Great, there are no shelters and I have no basement.

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Oh, no! Hide in the bathtub with FB.

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4
    Hi Evo,
    Tell me please why there are no shelters or basements for people in parts of this country that are prone to dangerous weather? I would think this should be included in a building code.

Back when the storms went through LA, MO and other states, we had a dear friend who's town got a direct hit. They had no where to go. Why?
    Thanks

6. Apr 13, 2012 #5

Evo

Hi Lacy!

I've asked that question many times.

7. Apr 13, 2012 #6
    What does the local government say about protecting the people???

8. Apr 13, 2012 #7
  9. Apr 13, 2012 #8
    Well OK!~
    But I saw the Wizard of Oz and I know that if your local government does nothing to protect the peoples, the peoples and all their money are going to end up in the Land Of Oz next door to me! here in the land of Oz

10. Apr 13, 2012 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess it depends on which part of Louisiana you're talking about, but there's a good reason houses in southern Lousiana don't have basements - same reason most people are 'buried' in above ground tombs. In fact, when the water table rises due to flooding, it's not unheard of for below ground coffins to have enough bouyancy to pop up through the ground.

Generally speaking, a person only has about a 1 in 4.5 million chance of dying in a tornado, so it's not really worth protecting against. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning (1 in 835,000). Of course, you actually have a better chance of being killed by hail (1 in about 700,000) than by lightning.

The bad news is that tornadoes are usually formed in major thunderstorms, and major thunderstorms are usually accompanied by lightning and hail. So, maybe you do have a good reason to be afraid.

Personally, the way I handle fear during tornadoes is to concentrate on something else - worrying about whether I'm saving enough for retirement, for example.

Useless information - Top Ten States for your chances of being killed by weather:

Keep in mind that one major disaster can skew a states statistics for average deaths for quite a while. But, the states in "tornado alley" do rate pretty high.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  11. Apr 13, 2012 #10
    Strap yourself down Evo, I'll go run for help.

12. Apr 13, 2012 #11

Evo

According to local weather, the worst day will be Sunday, but they're always wrong.

13. Apr 13, 2012 #12
    Dang! Sunday my area is under alert! My fiance will be in northern Missouri, I hope she will be ok!

14. Apr 13, 2012 #13
    You guys might want to consider taking shelter at your local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints meetinghouse. I'm a member and I know for a fact that they have pretty high building standards. They are so high, in fact, that the meetinghouses might be one of the least likely to be torn down by a natural disaster.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  15. Apr 13, 2012 #14
    Turns out she's headed to Springfield MO tonight! That's near the red zone! :(

16. Apr 13, 2012 #15
    Well maybe NOT a "natural disaster" but what about an act of god?

17. Apr 13, 2012 #16

Evo

Oh, that's near Joplin. That is the worst spot in MO.

18. Apr 14, 2012 #17

Evo

Now it appears the storm track has shifted, southern MO is out of danger and DL and I are in the middle of it, according to weather.com, which is never right. They had a warning out this morning saying "HIGH TORNADO RISK - TAKE SHELTER NOW. But there's not a cloud in the sky. Then on the next page it says "mostly sunny today with 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms" SERIOUS TORNADO THREAT ISSUED" "5 MILLION LIVES AT RISK" RISK OF TORNADOES INCREASED

Last night the weatherman said there are new warnings now, they are "MASS DEVASTATION", "CATASTROPHIC", and "UNSURVIVABLE". Ok, you're watching tv and a weather alert pops up "UNSURVIVABLE TORNADO IN 5 MINUTES", what the heck are you supposed to do?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/unsurvivable-tornado-warnings-aim-scare-16046020

19. Apr 14, 2012 #18
    Evo, I'm really sorry for all the times I made you mad. I want to say how beloved you are.
    I will be reading on the roof and I will try and catch your big screen TV if it comes flying by.
    I know you would want someone to have it that can not afford such a nice TV.
    Thank you for everything.
    BTW,
    See Bob's post about your chances of getting wiped out.
    I feel so much better since BOB posted and that means my friend did not loose everything like they think they did.
    An It's my fault I meant to say TN.
    Good luck dear lady.

20. Apr 14, 2012 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Let's hope all our members in the danger zone escape unscathed, and that they keep us updated (hint, hint).

21. Apr 14, 2012 #20

Evo

I've got my hall bath stocked with emergency stuff. I have a few daffy duck bandaids, (I keep forgetting to get a first aid kit). I have enough extra crunchy peanut butter to keep the FB and I going for days.

Evo Child promised to find a flashlight and working batteries. Her house has a basement.

It's not supposed to start until well after dark tonight. Always. During the night. Tornadoes love darkness.

Love you too Lacy!! Thanks for the good wishes! :!!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook