Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tornado season

1. May 5, 2007 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Survivors awed at killer twister's power

Those in the midwest - from West Texas to Minnesota - need to watch out.

I hope we don't see any more like this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2007 #2
    It seems like there has been a lot of totally weird weather phenomina the last year or so. There was a tornado last week that hit a Texas/Mexico border town and killed ten people.

I don't remember any other report of a tornado that far south., and multiple places being hit with snow and rain all on the same day.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/04/25/storm.deaths.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  4. May 5, 2007 #3

Astronuc

The National Weather Service is predicting a continuation of severe weather for central Kansas. Tornado warnings continue through night in six states!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/05/05/severe.weather/index.html

5. May 6, 2007 #4
    A good reminder to make sure our safty plans are in order. Batteries, radios, flashlights and water. It does look like we're in for a wild summer.

6. May 6, 2007 #5
  7. May 6, 2007 #6

Astronuc

We had some moderate winds last night, and now it is so dry that we have a fire warning.

Same area had killer tornado three years ago.

We've been getting tornados or micro-bursts periodically over the last decade or so. I think tornado alley has expanded, with shifts in weather patterns.

We are seeing a lot more species of birds from further south than we did a decade or two ago.

We have had more weather extremes, too.

8. May 6, 2007 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Driving up into the mountains, yesterday, the sun was shining and it was snowing. Almost reminded me of that John Fogarty song.

Of course, once I reached the top, it was cloudy .... and snowing, and thundering, with lightning. Something to see, but not something to linger at the top for very long.

9. May 6, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  10. May 6, 2007 #9
    The photos are just plain scary. I'm so very sad for the people who live there. Their sense of safty, I'm sure will never be the same.

11. May 7, 2007 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. May 9, 2007 #11

Astronuc

Now add to that - Flooding! - on the Missouri River and some tributaries. At least one town may be a complete loss!

Midwest flooding could near 1993 levels!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?