How does a partially wound toroidal core affect magnetic force and field flow?

In summary, the toroid core will generate no magnetic force on a nearby object, while a spherical core will generate a small amount of force. Additionally, the coil-core system will move along the surface while the solenoid and core are attached.
shishir.gupta
Hi all.. I am currently working on a project where i need to wound toroidal core halfway (not completely) so that part f the core is exposed. With that part, I need to lift weight a certain amount of weight (not fixed at this point). I am trying to understand what kind of equations would be useful to determine the magnetic force this system will generate. Also, how will the magnetic field flow in such a system?

Thank You.

- Shishir

Engineering news on Phys.org
shishir.gupta said:
I am trying to understand what kind of equations would be useful to determine the magnetic force this system will generate.
Just use Amperes law as usual:

circulation H⋅ds = N*I

B = μ*H
shishir.gupta said:
Also, how will the magnetic field flow in such a system?
It will 99% circulate within the toroid.

Likes shishir.gupta
Hesch said:
Just use Amperes law as usual:

circulation H⋅ds = N*I

B = μ*H

It will 99% circulate within the toroid.

thank you...

In terms of force that it will generate on a nearby body.. or the amount of weight this system could lift.. that will also be determined by the same equations (F=B^2.A/2.μ)? (The whole load will be taken by the core..like an electromagnet lock)

shishir.gupta said:
In terms of force that it will generate on a nearby body
It will yield about no force to a nearby body, because the B-field will be kept inside the toroid.

Use a -shape or E-shape instead, from where the flux will come out.

A toroid has no poles. There is just a magnetic circulation field inside with a direction.

When the field comes out of the core, a magnetic energy density is created in the airgap outside the core, which leads to your formula:

F = ½*A*B*H = ½*B2 / μr.

It's this energy density that attracks a body, because the nature wants to get rid of the energy, which can be done by substituting airgab by iron.

Likes arydberg
Hesch said:
It will yield about no force to a nearby body, because the B-field will be kept inside the toroid.

Yeah, that's not going to make an electromagnet.

@shishir.gupta -- are you meaning to make a type of horseshoe electromagnet like this?

http://www.scientificlib.com/en/Technology/Literature/ElmerEllsworthBurns/images/fig-42.jpg
fig-42.jpg

That's one working configuration, but the electromagnets used in scrapyards use a better design that you can look up. It's a circular center pole surrounded by a circular outer pole. These can use solid steel because it uses DC current and eddy currents are transient at magnet turn on and turn off only . However, if you can get by with a C shape, in core catalogs those are called "cut cores" or "C cores" and are often available off the shelf. You can use two C cores paired into an E shape to approximate the coaxial design used in scrapyards, and the laminated design will allow drive with full wave rectified AC sans other filtering. Just make sure the current is appropriately limited.

Likes shishir.gupta
berkeman said:
Yeah, that's not going to make an electromagnet.

@shishir.gupta -- are you meaning to make a type of horseshoe electromagnet like this?

http://www.scientificlib.com/en/Technology/Literature/ElmerEllsworthBurns/images/fig-42.jpg
fig-42.jpg

I realize a toroid core won't be a suitable choice for what I want to do.. I was wondering if spherical core could do the job.. (I also need rolling motion on the surface of the weight.. so the core will have a point contact with the body and the core could roll over it..while it is attached to the surface)

Thank you.

shishir.gupta said:
I realize a toroid core won't be a suitable choice for what I want to do.. I was wondering if spherical core could do the job.. (I also need rolling motion on the surface of the weight.. so the core will have a point contact with the body and the core could roll over it..while it is attached to the surface)

Thank you.

I don't believe there is any such thing as a spherical core; at least I'm not able to visualize one.

Can you say more about what you are wanting to do? If we understand your application, maybe we can suggest something physical for you...

berkeman said:
I don't believe there is any such thing as a spherical core; at least I'm not able to visualize one.

Can you say more about what you are wanting to do? If we understand your application, maybe we can suggest something physical for you...

So.. the current carrying coil will generate the mag field... the spherical core will concentrate the field and (hopefully) attract and attach to the surface.. and the coil-core system could move along the surface (core rolls over the surface, the solenoid and core will move together)..

that is the basic mechanism I am trying to evaluate.. for that system I am trying to generate equations which could help me solve and further optimize it...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 456
shishir.gupta said:
So.. the current carrying coil will generate the mag field... the spherical core will concentrate the field and (hopefully) attract and attach to the surface.. and the coil-core system could move along the surface (core rolls over the surface, the solenoid and core will move together)..

that is the basic mechanism I am trying to evaluate.. for that system I am trying to generate equations which could help me solve and further optimize it...

Oh! A spherical core with a cylindrical winding around it. Now I get it.

Yeah, that should work. Have you tried it? It should be pretty easy to build one up... :smile:

berkeman said:
Oh! A spherical core with a cylindrical winding around it. Now I get it.

Yeah, that should work. Have you tried it? It should be pretty easy to build one up... :smile:
no..haven't tried it.. was wondering if the same equations will hold for this core (
upload_2015-9-29_18-25-50.png
)... since we do not have an area contact.. a point contact only

shishir.gupta said:
no..haven't tried it.. was wondering if the same equations will hold for this core (View attachment 89535)... since we do not have an area contact.. a point contact only

The force will be less, but it will still be more than you would get with just an air-core coil of the same size.

olaney said:
You can use two C cores paired into an E shape
shishir.gupta said:
the spherical core will concentrate the field
To concentrate the field ( flux per m2 ) you could use a ω-shape ( the field somewhat concentrated above the ω ) instead of an E-shape.

The magnetic field tends to find the shortest way around, so the legs of the core must be kept spread until the field is of use ( in the airgap between magnet and iron-body ). That's the idea.

Another suggestion ( circular E-core ):

ich-h6a3p26-16-e32147n.jpg

Hesch said:
To concentrate the field ( flux per m2 ) you could use a ω-shape ( the field somewhat concentrated above the ω ) instead of an E-shape.

The magnetic field tends to find the shortest way around, so the legs of the core must be kept spread until the field is of use ( in the airgap between magnet and iron-body ). That's the idea.
That could be done... Thanks !

I had another question.. I was trying to find on google but couldn't get a clear cut answer.. I there is multi layer coil.. how will the magnetic field be affected? Will the formula remain the same taking number of turns in account... or the total thickness of layer affect the field??

shishir.gupta said:
Will the formula remain the same taking number of turns in account.
Yes
shishir.gupta said:
the total thickness of layer affect the field??
The outer layers will be kept at some distance from the core. Thus the H-field [A/m] will be weaker, but it will "take effect" over a longer distance in the core.

Say that the H-field will be weakened by a factor 2 within the core, the length of the perimeter of the H-field will be a factor 2 longer within the core, as per radian.

Hesch said:
Yes

The outer layers will be kept at some distance from the core. Thus the H-field [A/m] will be weaker, but it will "take effect" over a longer distance in the core.

Say that the H-field will be weakened by a factor 2 within the core, the length of the perimeter of the H-field will be a factor 2 longer within the core, as per radian.

sorry... didn't understand that completely...

lets say the core is 45 mm in length... I use AWG 25 for this.. I get 100 turns in 1 layer.. if I use 3 layers to get 300 turns.. the how much will the field be affected in the core?

shishir.gupta said:
how much will the field be affected in the core?
It will not be affected, because the mmf will be the same: ( Lower figure ).

Attachments

• scan0020.pdf
    133.3 KB · Views: 182
Hesch said:
It will not be affected, because the mmf will be the same: ( Lower figure ).

ohh.. ok.. Thank you..

The bigger the airgap between the Winding and core - will reduce the mag field in the Core material ( higher leakage) -- that is why they are almost always bar ( straight) or U .

Is there some reason the sphere is desired?

Windadct said:
The bigger the airgap between the Winding and core - will reduce the mag field in the Core material ( higher leakage)
You must mean:
The bigger the airgap between the core and load (attracted iron) - will reduce the mag field in the Core material.

I think that Amperes law:

H⋅ds = N*I

is valid for any chosen circulation path.

The sphere still has area. It will act as a very short cylinder with very rounded ends.

You may want to consider how the magnetic field will react with the rolling ball. There will be eddy currents which will be cutting flux linkages. It will form some sort of motor/generator. This may not matter at low speeds/power levels, but it could cause problems at some point.

I am looking for the exact proper way to detail this - but the issue is the permeability of Air is much less less than iron for example - so a "good" winding has little to no Air Gap between the winding and the core material (resulting in field flux leakage - or flux that does not enter/stay in the core). The basic N*I form is about proportionality - so having air gap between the winding and the core means not all of the filed is constrained in the core.
In the case above - consider the extreme case - a small iron ball ( 1") in a 12" diameter winding. The Filed in the ball is in no way comparable to a 12" cylindrical core - when a solenoid "pulls in" it is reducing an energy state of the whole system- so an Air Core has less stored energy than an Iron core.

Oh - so the point is consider the 12" coil again - in an air coil ( low inductance = lo energy storage) vs the Iron core ( high inductance = high energy storage) ... but the MAG field is the same.

1. How does the winding direction affect the magnetic force and field flow of a partially wound toroidal core?

The winding direction of a partially wound toroidal core can significantly impact the magnetic force and field flow. In most cases, the winding direction should be consistent throughout the core to ensure an even and stable magnetic field. If the winding direction is reversed, it can create an unbalanced field and reduce the overall magnetic force.

2. How does the number of windings affect the magnetic force and field flow of a partially wound toroidal core?

The number of windings on a partially wound toroidal core can greatly impact the magnetic force and field flow. Generally, a higher number of windings will result in a stronger and more concentrated magnetic field. However, an excessive number of windings may also cause the magnetic field to become unstable and erratic.

3. Can the size and shape of a partially wound toroidal core affect the magnetic force and field flow?

Yes, the size and shape of a partially wound toroidal core can significantly impact the magnetic force and field flow. A larger core will typically have a stronger magnetic field, while a smaller core may have a weaker and more dispersed field. The shape of the core can also affect the direction and intensity of the magnetic force.

4. How does the material used for the core affect the magnetic force and field flow of a partially wound toroidal core?

The material of a partially wound toroidal core can greatly influence its magnetic force and field flow. Different materials have varying levels of magnetic permeability, which determines how easily they can be magnetized. Generally, materials with higher permeability will result in a stronger magnetic field and force.

5. What are some potential applications of a partially wound toroidal core and its effects on magnetic force and field flow?

Partially wound toroidal cores have various applications, including transformers, inductors, and sensors. The ability to partially wind the core allows for more precise control over the magnetic force and field flow, making it useful in applications that require specific magnetic field strengths and directions.