Calculating Inductance of Toroid Core - Tips & Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for help with calculating the inductance of a toroid core for a DC-DC converter. The person has tried googling for information but the links provided do not fully address their specific needs. They are looking for a formula that takes into account the inner and outer diameter, height, wire radius, number of turns, and permeability of the core. The conversation also mentions the effects of frequency and temperature on the inductance of a toroid, as well as the importance of using the correct material for the core. The final part of the conversation discusses the magnetic field outside the toroidal coil and how it relates to the design of the converter.
ElectroJohnny
Hello, I need help with calculating inductance of a toroid core. I tried googling and came up with 3 results, but they don't really help. Links are:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/indtor.html
http://www.nessengr.com/techdata/toroid/toroid.html
http://www.phys.uri.edu/~gerhard/PHY204/tsl267.pdf

The information I have:

Toroid inner diameter: 8 mm
Toroid outside diameter: 15 mm
Toroid height: 6 mm
Wire radius: 0.63 mm
Number of turns: 60

I need a formula that takes into consideration inside and outside diameter (or radius), height, wire radius, number of turns and permeability of the core. None of the formulas in above links seem to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The first link above tells you how to come up with the formula. This link carries it out
http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~acosta/phy2061/lectures/Inductance.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
marcusl said:
The first link above tells you how to come up with the formula. This link carries it out
http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~acosta/phy2061/lectures/Inductance.pdf"
Thanks for link, I'll give it a read tomorrow (going to bed now). After that I'll ask further questions (if there are any). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You have some very good references already, but I have attached another one which gives some information about the uses of different types of toroid.
I found it on HamRadioIndia.org. Very well presented and hopefully accurate.
View attachment toroid_datasheet.pdf

Wire diameter doesn't have much effect on the inductance of a toroid as long as you can fit the required number of turns into the air gap.

Frequency does have a huge effect on some toroid materials. Permeability can drop to 10% of the low frequency value, or less.
So, it really needs to be measured or specified at the frequency you wish to use it at.

Also, temperature has a big effect and if stability is an issue (such as when making coils for oscillators) this should be considered.

Another useful document is this one:
http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/pdf/Broadband.pdf
which deals with broadband transformers using ferrite materials.

Try to get the makers data sheet for the actual core you are using. Usually, their data is very thorough and helpful.

It is a bit of a black art, though, and eventually you have to put some wire on a ferrite and start measuring.

Many thanks guys, I'll give them a thorough read when I get back from college.

The thing is, I'm trying to make a DC-DC 12V/24V converter and the author of circuit I'm using hasn't specified inductance, but has given above information instead. There is no talk about permeability (i.e. specific material used for toroid) so I don't even know where to start to calculate needed inductance. :/ Any ideas?

Here's a direct quote from the author:

"L1 is made by winding 60 turns of 0.63MM magnet wire on a toroidial core measuring 15MM (OD) by 8MM (ID) by 6MM (H)."

what is the magnetic field outside the torroidal coil - ie in the centre and on the outside

1. How do I calculate the inductance of a toroid core?

To calculate the inductance of a toroid core, you will need to know the number of turns in the coil, the radius of the toroid, and the permeability of the core material. You can use the formula L = (μ0 * μr * N^2 * π * r^2) / (2π * r), where L is the inductance, μ0 is the permeability of free space, μr is the relative permeability of the core material, N is the number of turns, and r is the radius of the toroid.

2. How does the number of turns affect the inductance of a toroid core?

The inductance of a toroid core is directly proportional to the square of the number of turns in the coil. This means that as the number of turns increases, the inductance also increases. However, there is a limit to this relationship, as increasing the number of turns too much can result in saturation of the core material and a decrease in inductance.

3. What is the significance of the radius in the inductance formula for a toroid core?

The radius of the toroid is a crucial factor in determining the inductance of the core. The larger the radius, the higher the inductance will be. This is because a larger radius allows for more magnetic flux to flow through the core, resulting in a stronger magnetic field and higher inductance.

4. How does the core material affect the inductance of a toroid core?

The core material plays a significant role in the inductance of a toroid core. Different core materials have different permeability values, which affects the strength of the magnetic field and thus the inductance. Materials with higher permeability will result in higher inductance values.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the inductance of a toroid core?

Aside from the number of turns, radius, and core material, other factors that can affect the inductance of a toroid core include the shape and size of the core, the type of winding used, and the presence of any nearby conductive materials. It is essential to consider all these factors when calculating the inductance of a toroid core to get an accurate result.