Designing a Toroidal Engine: Is It Possible?

In summary: In summary, a design for a toroidal engine has been done before and is not practical to implement.
chhitiz
i thought of a design for a toroidal engine. is there anyway i can check if it is actually possible to practically implement this design?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Its already been done several times.

http://www.starrotor.com/Engines/EngineAnimation.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
that is a rotary engine. i was talking about a toroidal engine like a trochilic engine. what i really want to know is if there is any simulation or anything in which i could check if a design is practical and efficient.

Woops, your right. I got toroid mixed up with trochoid.

RonL said:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/11/oscillating-piston-engine-that-thing-got-a-toroid-in-it/

Are you thinking about something along these lines, or perhaps free pistons, that move in a continuous free piston full circle cycle?

I've seen these before. There is a local university doing some R&D for a very similar design. Toroidal engines suffer from complexity, high tolerance parts, and lack of ability to adapt to upcoming engine technologies. They do offer the potential to have very high specific power.

Before a simulation can be done, you need to know what info you have and what info you need from you simulation. if you want a basic simulation, then pen and paper for a few steps of the process maybe a simple way to get a feel for the numbers involved. You could use something like Simulink which runs with MATLAB or maybe just excel and some iterations. if you have a specific sketch or something, then you are going to have to break it down into its elements and relationships and see how to go from there. next simulation step is building a prototype or breadboard. it all depends on what you're thinking of and what results you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is a toroidal engine a real concept or just a fictional idea?

Yes, a toroidal engine is a real concept that has been proposed and studied by scientists and engineers. It is also known as a ring-shaped engine or doughnut-shaped engine.

2. How does a toroidal engine work?

A toroidal engine works by utilizing the shape of a torus, or a donut, to create a continuous combustion cycle. Fuel and air are injected into the torus through intake ports, and then ignited by spark plugs. The resulting explosion creates a rotating force that drives a rotor, which is connected to a crankshaft to produce power.

3. What are the potential benefits of a toroidal engine?

A toroidal engine has several potential benefits, including increased efficiency due to the continuous combustion cycle, reduced size and weight compared to traditional engines, and the ability to run on a variety of fuels including gasoline, diesel, and hydrogen.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to designing a toroidal engine?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations to consider when designing a toroidal engine. These include the complexity of the engine's shape and design, potential difficulties in controlling the combustion process, and the need for specialized materials and manufacturing techniques.

5. Is it possible to replace traditional engines with toroidal engines in the future?

While there is ongoing research and development on toroidal engines, it is not currently possible to say whether they will completely replace traditional engines in the future. However, there is potential for them to be used in certain applications where their unique design and benefits may be advantageous.