Toroidal Solenoid

If I have a solenoid in the shape of a toroid (i.e. solenoid joined end to end) the magnetic field produced by the flow of charge will produce a concentrated magnetic field within the coil.

How would I go about calculating the size of the magnetic field outside of the coil due to magnetic field leakage?

Any advice much appreciated.

LB

Answers and Replies

stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
If I have a solenoid in the shape of a toroid (i.e. solenoid joined end to end) the magnetic field produced by the flow of charge will produce a concentrated magnetic field within the coil.

How would I go about calculating the size of the magnetic field outside of the coil due to magnetic field leakage?

Any advice much appreciated.

LB
I think that a good approximation would be to assume that the magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] inside the soldenoid is directed perpendicular to the plane of each coil and is zero outside of the solenoid. Then you can use Ampere's law to compute it:

[itex]\int B \cdot d\mathcal{l} = \mu I[/itex]

The meaning of that equation is that if you imagine drawing a closed loop that encloses a bunch of wires, then the total current enclosed by the loop is equal to the line integral of [itex]B[/itex] around the loop.