1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toroidal Solenoid

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    If I have a solenoid in the shape of a toroid (i.e. solenoid joined end to end) the magnetic field produced by the flow of charge will produce a concentrated magnetic field within the coil.

How would I go about calculating the size of the magnetic field outside of the coil due to magnetic field leakage?

Any advice much appreciated.

LB

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think that a good approximation would be to assume that the magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] inside the soldenoid is directed perpendicular to the plane of each coil and is zero outside of the solenoid. Then you can use Ampere's law to compute it:

[itex]\int B \cdot d\mathcal{l} = \mu I[/itex]

The meaning of that equation is that if you imagine drawing a closed loop that encloses a bunch of wires, then the total current enclosed by the loop is equal to the line integral of [itex]B[/itex] around the loop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook