1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque a problem from Serway

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im having exam about Torque on monday and im trying to solve problems about it I stumbled with this problem, I cant solve it. I think im missing a fundamental concept about torque because of the fact that I dont understand how this problem was solved.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is solved, I just need someone to tell me why when doing the sum of torques a 2000 cos 65 was used . I belive the torque should be the perpendicular component of the force to the rod or for the uniform boom. I wrote instead 2000 sin of 25 . any help please?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2
    please anyone? and why is the tension T divided as tx and ty in the sum of torques? T already has 90 degrees in respect to the axis , so shouldnt the torque of T just be T multiplied by its lenght?

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

Torque = Force x Radius of operation

You either take the component of the force at right angles to the lever F.cos65
    OR
    You take the effective radius of operation R.cos65

SO either F x R.cos65 or F.cos65 x R giving F.R.Cos65

EDIT: they have done a vertical and horizontal for the second part

5. Sep 3, 2011 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you did find the torque of T the easy way...Serway first broke up T into its x and y components then summed torques of each.....to give the same result. But ultimately you need to break up T into its components anyway to get the reaction forces. Remember the 2 ways to find torques...Frsin theta or F times perpendicular distance from line of action of F to pivot point.

Also note that AB sin25 = AB cos 65 ....

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  6. Sep 4, 2011 #5
    The calculator wasent working well for some reason AB sin25 wasent the same as AB cos 65 i had to reset it. thanks a lot for your time .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook