Finding Torque in a Square: How to Determine the Distance for Calculating Torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque using a square as an example. The question is whether the distance value for torque should be from the bottom left corner to the center or to the middle on the same axis. The equation for torque is given as T = Fd, where d is the displacement vector and F is the force vector. The speaker clarifies that the distance value will depend on the direction of the force and suggests drawing the direction of the force on a diagram to determine the relevant distance value.
Redfire66

Homework Statement

So image we have a square. And the center of mass is, well in the center.
If I choose the pivot to be the bottom left corner, would the distance used to calculate torque be from the bottom left to the center or to the middle on the same axis? I have a picture since it's kind of hard to explain
Technically I'm just asking, according to the picture, would I use R or x as my distance value for torque

Homework Equations

T = Fd

Attachments

• XR.png
    XR.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
Torque is the cross product of the displacement vector and the force vector.

So the distance value you want will be some where between zero and 'r'. It depends on the direction of the force.

Draw the direction of the force on your diagram, hopefully which distance value is relevant should become clear..

What is torque about a square?

Torque about a square is a measure of the rotational force exerted on an object due to a force acting on one side of the square. It is represented by the symbol τ and is measured in units of newton-meters (Nm).

How is torque about a square calculated?

The torque about a square is calculated by multiplying the force acting on one side of the square by the perpendicular distance from the force to the center of the square. The formula for torque is τ = F x d, where F is the force and d is the distance.

What is the importance of torque about a square?

Torque about a square is important in understanding the rotational motion and stability of objects. It is also crucial in designing machines and structures that require precise rotational forces.

Can torque about a square be negative?

Yes, torque about a square can be negative. This occurs when the force acting on the square is in the opposite direction of the rotation or when it causes the object to rotate in the opposite direction.

How is torque about a square related to angular momentum?

Torque and angular momentum are closely related, as torque is the rate of change of angular momentum. In other words, the more torque that is applied to an object, the faster its angular momentum will change. This relationship is described by the equation τ = I x ω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.