Torque and angular acceleration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving four masses connected by rods and an axis of rotation. The goal is to calculate the torque needed to cause an angular acceleration of 0.75 rad/s^2. The formula for moment of inertia, I = \sum m_i r_i^2, is mentioned and the speaker is unsure which equation to use for I. Suggestions are given to calculate the moment of inertia for each rod and use the parallel axis theorem. It is also noted that for a few point masses, the integral is not needed and the contributions of each mass can be summed numerically.
feather
Hi, I have a problem that I just can't seem to figure out. Here it is:

Four masses are arrnaged as shown below. They are connected by rigid, massless rods of lengths 0.75 m and 0.50 m. What torque must be applied to cause an angular acceleration of 0.75 rad/s^2?

A--------B
l
l
------------(Axis of rotation)
l
l
D--------C

(B and C are connected by a rod, I couldn't get the picture to look right)

A= 4 kg, B=3 kg, C=5 kg, D=2 kg

I know that torque=I(rotational inertia) times angular acceleration, but I don't know what equation for I to use. None of the equations given in the book for I, (hoop, cylinder, sphere, rod, and plate) seem to fit. I'm stuck!

I would appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
the formula you want to look into is
[tex] I = \sum m_i r_i^2 [/tex]

where m_i is the mass of the i'th particle
and r_i is the distance from that particle
to the axis of rotation.

Let T be the point of meeting of the axis of rotation and road AD . Then what you need to do is to calculate the M.I around the T point. First calculate M.I of AD around T (how to calculate rod's moment of inertia around the centre?) , then calculate M.I of AB and CD rodad around the axis of rotation using parallel axis theorem. Once you add all those M.I , you get the net M.I which is to be used in T=I.(angular acceleration)

BJ

Use the formula given by qbert, it is the equation used to solve the moment of inetia for all the other geometeries listed in your book, such as a sphere, rod and hoop. But when you have just a few point masses their is no need to use the integral and it can be numerically solved by summing the contribution of each mass relative to the axis of rotation. The only reason you can take this approach is because the rod is massless (or can be neglected.)

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is commonly measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Torque and angular acceleration are directly related through Newton's Second Law for rotation, which states that the net torque applied to an object is equal to the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) multiplied by the angular acceleration.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration refers to the change in an object's velocity in a straight line, while angular acceleration refers to the change in an object's angular velocity (rate of rotation) around an axis. Linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) while angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

4. Why is torque important in rotational motion?

Torque is important in rotational motion because it is the force that causes an object to rotate, and it is also responsible for changing an object's rotational speed or direction. Understanding torque is crucial in designing and analyzing machines and mechanisms that involve rotational motion, such as engines, turbines, and gears.

5. How do you calculate torque in a real-world scenario?

In a real-world scenario, torque can be calculated by measuring the force applied to an object and the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation. For example, to calculate the torque of a wrench turning a bolt, you would measure the force applied to the handle of the wrench and the distance from the handle to the bolt. The product of these two values would give you the torque applied to the bolt.