Can Zero Torque Occur if Angular Momentum and Velocity Vectors Aren't Parallel?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving an ideal bar rotating about an arbitrary axis. The angular velocity vector and angular momentum vector are not parallel, but the angular velocity is constant. The question is whether there can be 0 torque on the bar in this scenario. The experts clarify that the relationship between angular momentum and angular velocity for a rigidly rotating body is not always collinear and provide a resource for further understanding. The original poster confirms that getting 0 torque does not necessarily mean a mistake was made.
KBriggs
Hey all,

I have a physics problem here and I have come across an odd scenario, I wonder if you could tell me if this means that I have the wrong answer.

I have an ideal bar rotating about an arbitrary axis. The angular velocity vector [tex]\omega[/tex] is NOT colinear with the angular momentum vector. However, [tex]\omega[/tex] is constant, so when I try to find the torque on the bar by using hte time dervitive of the angular momentum vector, I get 0.

My question is this: is it possible for there to be 0 torque on the bar if the angular momentum and angular velocity vectors are not parallel? Because I was under the impression that the only time when they were not parallel was when there was some applied torque, but I have done this problem using three different methods now, all with the same result.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, KBriggs,

In general, the relationship between L and w for a rigidly rotating body is not L=Iw, where I is a scalar; I has to be a 3x3 matrix. Even for an isolated body with no torques acting on it, it is not necessary for L and w to be collinear. Here is a discussion of this kind of thing that might help: http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/0sn/ch04/ch04.html#Section4.3

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

So getting 0 torque doesn't mean I went wrong somewhere.

I know about the matrix notation, but I am new to this stuff so I am getting a little lost in the definitions.

1. What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied.

3. What is the difference between torque and angular momentum?

Torque and angular momentum are related but different concepts. Torque is the measure of the force that causes rotation, while angular momentum is the measure of the rotational motion of an object.

4. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved when there is no external torque acting on a system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, even if the individual components change.

5. What are some real-life examples of torque and angular momentum?

Some examples of torque and angular momentum in everyday life include opening a door, riding a bicycle, and spinning a top. In each of these cases, a force is applied to an object causing it to rotate around an axis, resulting in a change in angular momentum.