1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and angular speed

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An LP turntable must spin at 3.53 rad/s to play a record. How much torque must the motor deliver if the turntable is to reach its final angular speed in 1.9 revolutions, starting from rest? The turntable is a uniform disk of diameter 30.7 cm and mass 0.24 kg.

2. Relevant equations

T=rF
    F=ma
    Theda = (Angular Acceleration (t^2)) / 2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the above equations but i'm not sure about finding the angular acceleration to find the the final Torque.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the most basic definition of acceleration? That's what you need here.

4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    change in distance / change in time

5. Mar 17, 2008 #4

Doc Al

That's the definition of velocity. What's the similar definition of acceleration?

6. Mar 17, 2008 #5
    oh yea, sorry, change in velocity / change in time

7. Mar 17, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Good. So the angular acceleration is the change in angular velocity over time.

But I just realized that they didn't give you the time--I misread the problem. (D'oh!) So you'll need to use another approach to find the time.

Try this: What's the average speed of the turntable while it's accelerating? Use that--and the distance--to calculate the time. (Change revolutions to radians.)

8. Mar 17, 2008 #7
    Ok, so the Time = Distance / Average Speed, the distance is 11.932 radians, but what is the average speed, is it simply the given speed of 3.53 or something else?

9. Mar 17, 2008 #8

Doc Al

No. 3.53 rad/s is the final speed and 0 is the initial speed. So what's the average speed?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?