Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and Centripetal Force

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    I'm in the Rotational Motion Chapter.

After torque is applied to rotate an object,how do I go about breaking down the tangent vector and the centripetal force vector?

What I want to know is how the torque is being divided between the tangent direction and the radius direction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'm not quite sure what you mean. An applied (net) torque creates an angular acceleration.

Perhaps you can give a specific example of what you are asking about.
  4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
  5. Oct 14, 2007 #4
    Doc Al,

I'm assuming when a torque is applied to a record to make it spin on the turn table that this results in an angular change in velocity, which settles into a constant velocity of 33 and 1/2 rpms. As a result of the constant angular velocity, a centripetal force occurs. I'm trying to begin with a torque and split how much force goes into the change of angular velocity, an how much force goes into the centripetal acceleration. My books doesn't explain this.
  6. Oct 14, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

All of the torque goes into the change of angular velocity. The centripetal force is the force preventing the object from going in a straight path, and it's perpendicular to the direction of travel, so no work (or enery consumption) occurs.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?