Finding the Position Vector for Opposite and Half Torque on the Y Axis

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a homework problem involving a particle located at a specific vector position and a force exerted on it. The student has successfully answered previous questions but is struggling with question (f), which asks for the position vector of a point on the y axis where the torque caused by the force is in the opposite direction and half the magnitude. The student has attempted to use cross products and logical reasoning to solve the problem, but has not been successful. They are seeking guidance and assistance with finding the correct solution.
bzhagar
First of all I want to thank you for taking your valuable time to help me out. I typically would not ask a homework question, but I have exhausted all other resources in search for an answer to my question. I will do my best to fully summarize my situation and its circumstances, seeing as this is my first post.

I have already successfully answered questions (a)-(e). The key to (f) lies in question (b): It asks if there are multiple points that can produce a result half of the value found in question (a) and in the opposite direction. That would be a value of 9. It also dictates that you find this value as it lies on the y axis. This means (to me) that the i values will all be 0 in the cross product matrices.

Homework Statement

A particle is located at the vector position = (6.00i + 9.00j) m and a force exerted on it is given by = (4.00i + 3.00j) N.

(a) What is the torque acting on the particle about the origin?

(b) Can there be another point about which the torque caused by this force on this particle will be in the opposite direction and half as large in magnitude?
YES

(c) Can there be more than one such point?
YES

(d) Can such a point lie on the y axis?
YES

(e) Can more than one such point lie on the y axis?
NO

(f) Determine the position vector of one such point. (Give a point on the y axis.)

Homework Equations

I used cross products to find the first solution which was -18k N m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that I would just rearrange the same cross product equation (RxFy - RyFx) (where R = radius, F = force) while substituting a variable for Ry, considering the Rx values to be equal to 0. I could not come up with a correct solution in this manner, so I tried another way.

My logical reasoning (which was apparently flawed) was that given a particle with only a y-component, the only forces taken into consideration would be those perpendicular to that: the i forces. So I attempted the solution by stating that:
RyFx = 9 --> 4Ry = 9 --> Ry = 2.25m

This did not produce the correct solution either. Any information or guidance you could provide me with is much appreciated. Thank you all!

Physics news on Phys.org
R=(Rx,Ry) in T=RxF is a vector that points from the pivot point to the particle.
Therefore Rx is not 0.

If the vector from the origin to the particle is Q, and the vector from the origin to the pivot if P, then you should be able to get a better expression. Otherwise the strategy looks good. Px=0, Py=y, solve for y.

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is the measure of a force's ability to cause rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation to the point of application of the force.

2. What is a cross product and what does it represent?

A cross product is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It represents the direction and magnitude of the torque or rotational force.

3. How is torque related to cross product?

Torque is directly related to cross product as it is the result of the cross product operation between a force vector and a displacement vector. In other words, torque is the cross product of force and lever arm (distance from point of rotation).

4. Can cross product be negative?

Yes, cross product can be negative. The direction of the resulting vector from a cross product is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the cross product vector. If the vectors are pointing in opposite directions, the resulting vector will be in the opposite direction and have a negative value.

5. How is cross product used in real-life applications?

Cross product is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate torque, which is important in the design and functioning of machines and mechanical systems. It is also used in navigation and robotics to determine the orientation and movement of objects in 3D space.