Mass Determination Using Torque and Equilibrium: A Meter Stick Experiment

In summary, the purpose of this conversation is to determine the mass of a meter stick without using a scale. The possible materials that can be used include a meter stick, thermometer, stopwatch, washers, knife edge, plastic ruler, known masses, string, pencil, metal/wooden rod, marbles, cardboard pieces, sponge pad, sticky tape, and elastics. The suggested method for solving this problem is to use the conditions of mechanical equilibrium and torque to create a truck using the string, washers, and pencil. This involves giving the meter stick a force and measuring the time it takes to move a certain distance. Some confusion arises when one person suggests using kinematics instead of torque and equilibrium.
Master7731

Homework Statement

Purpose: Determine the mass of a meter stick without directly measuring it.

Possible Materials:
Select the appropriate materials you will use.

__ Meter Stick __ Thermometer __ Stop watch __ Washers __ Knife edge
__ Plastic ruler __ Known Masses __ String __ Pencil __ Metal/wooden rod
__ Marbles __ Cardboard pieces __ Sponge pad __ Sticky tape __ Elastics

You are not allowed to use a scale!

Homework Equations

How do i work this out?...im stuck

The Attempt at a Solution

I think from the conditions of mechanical equilibrium, Net Force = 0 and Net torque = 0 you could solve it... But I am not sure how...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to use the string the Washers and the pencil to somehow create a truck. I would put the meter stick on it and somehow give it a certain force ( like tie it with the metal rod) and count the time it needs to go some distance. Then I would repeat that replacing though the Meter stick with the known masses.

what? we ar supposed to use torque and equilibrium not kinematics

1. What is the purpose of a Torque and Equilibrium Lab?

The purpose of a Torque and Equilibrium Lab is to investigate the relationship between forces and the resulting rotational motion, specifically in a system that is in equilibrium. This lab allows scientists to apply principles of torque, center of mass, and equilibrium to real-world scenarios.

2. What equipment is needed for a Torque and Equilibrium Lab?

Some common equipment needed for a Torque and Equilibrium Lab includes a meter stick or ruler, a fulcrum or pivot point, various masses, a protractor, and a force sensor or spring scale. Additional equipment may be required depending on the specific experiment being conducted.

3. How is torque calculated in a Torque and Equilibrium Lab?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the perpendicular distance from the force to the pivot point. The equation for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the pivot point.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium in a Torque and Equilibrium Lab?

In a Torque and Equilibrium Lab, static equilibrium refers to a system that is not moving or rotating, while dynamic equilibrium refers to a system that is in motion but has a constant speed and direction. In both cases, the net torque and net force must be equal to zero for the system to be in equilibrium.

5. How can the data collected in a Torque and Equilibrium Lab be applied in real-world scenarios?

The principles and calculations learned in a Torque and Equilibrium Lab can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. For example, understanding torque and equilibrium can help engineers design stable structures, and it can also be used to analyze the forces and movements involved in human motion and athletic performance.