Torque and Equilibrium of a rope climber

Then take torques about the point where the rope attaches to her harness. This will allow you to find the friction force.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a climber being held by a belay rope while climbing a vertical wall. The angles between the rope and wall and between the climber's feet and the wall are given, and the coefficient of static friction between her shoes and the wall is requested. The conversation suggests solving the problem by calculating torques at different points and using them to find the tension in the rope and the friction force.
geah

Homework Statement

A climber with a weight of 533.8 N is held by a belay rope connected to her climbing harness and belay device; the force of the rope on her has a line of action through her center of mass. The indicated angles are 40 degrees and 30 degrees. If her feet are on the verge of sliding on the vertical wall, what is the coefficient of static friction between her climbing shoes and the wall. (40 degrees is the angle between her feet and the wall, 30 degrees is the angle between the rope and the wall)

Homework Equations

torque = rxF

The Attempt at a Solution

First off I drew a free body diagram of the situation. Because torque must equal to zero we know that the torque counterclockwise = torque clockwise. Knowing this I put the information into the equation and got r Ff sin(110) = r/2 (533.8) (cos 70) what's stumping me is the fact that I have 2 variable and I can figure out how to move from here.

If you could offer a clean explanation that would be wonderful,
Thanks
~geah

Physics news on Phys.org
geah said:
Because torque must equal to zero we know that the torque counterclockwise = torque clockwise. Knowing this I put the information into the equation and got r Ff sin(110) = r/2 (533.8) (cos 70) what's stumping me is the fact that I have 2 variable and I can figure out how to move from here.
It's unclear to me what point you are using as a reference in calculating torques. (In any case, the "r" drops out of this equation, leaving you with one variable.)

I suggest you solve this in multiple steps. First take torques about the point where her foot contacts the wall. This will allow you to find the tension in the rope.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How does torque affect rope climbing?

In rope climbing, torque plays a crucial role in maintaining equilibrium. As the climber pulls down on the rope, the torque created by their weight causes the rope to rotate around the anchor point, keeping the climber in place.

3. How does the weight of the climber affect the torque?

The weight of the climber directly affects the torque created. A heavier climber will create more torque, making it easier to maintain equilibrium. However, too much weight can also cause the rope to break, so it is important to consider weight limits when rope climbing.

4. What is the role of the anchor point in torque and equilibrium?

The anchor point is where the rope is fixed and serves as the axis of rotation in torque calculations. It is crucial in maintaining equilibrium as the rope must be anchored securely to support the weight of the climber and counteract the torque created by their movement.

5. How can the angle of the rope affect torque and equilibrium?

The angle of the rope can greatly affect the torque and equilibrium of a rope climber. A steeper angle creates a larger torque, making it more difficult to maintain equilibrium. This is why climbers often try to keep the rope as straight as possible while climbing.