How Do Weight Distribution and Torque Affect Scale Readings?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a woman is standing on a light board resting on two bathroom scales. The total length of the board is 2.1 m and the woman's distance from the left side of the board is 1.3 m. The problem asks for the readings on the two scales and the conversation discusses the solution using the equation n2=d1w/d2. The solution involves converting the woman's weight to N and finding the distance from the right side of the board to the woman's center of gravity. However, there is an issue with the solution and the conversation asks for help in finding the mistake.
jibjab

Homework Statement

A 70.7 kg woman stands on a very light, rigid board that rests on a bathroom scale at each end. The total length of the board is L=2.1 m, and the woman's distance from the left of the board is 1.3 m.
What is the reading on the left scale? The right scale?

Homework Equations

n2=d1w/d2

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the woman's weight to 693.3 N. For d1 I used half the length of the board, 1.05 m, and for d2, I found the distance the woman was away from the right side of the board relevant to the center of gravity on the board, which was 0.25 m. To find n2, I did
(693.3N)(1.05m)/1.3m and got 559.97 N.
I subtracted that amount from the woman's weight and got 133.33 N, which made sense since she was closer to the right side of the board, but the computer says no. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? I was following an example in the book.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
She is standing on a very light board. No neglect its mass.
Let R1 and R2 are the reactions on the scales. Find the moments due to woman and R2 about R1. Hence find the distance of the woman from R1.

Hello,

It seems like you have made a mistake in your calculation for n2. The correct formula to use in this situation is n2 = d1w/d2, where d1 is the distance from the left scale to the center of gravity of the board, and d2 is the distance from the right scale to the center of gravity of the board. In this case, d1 = 1.05 m and d2 = 1.05 m (since the board is symmetric), so the correct calculation would be (693.3N)(1.05m)/1.05m = 693.3N. This means that the reading on both scales should be equal, at 693.3N each.

I hope this helps clarify the calculation for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Scientist

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the amount of force that can cause an object to rotate around a fixed point. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration. This means that the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.

4. How do you determine if an object is in equilibrium?

An object is in equilibrium if the sum of all the forces acting on it is equal to zero and the sum of all the torques acting on it is also equal to zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

5. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity. In both cases, the sum of all forces and torques acting on the object is equal to zero.