Solving Torque and Force Homework Problems

In summary, the question asks about the force needed to bring a 50kg grindstone from rest to 120 rev/min in 9 seconds, the force needed to maintain a constant angular speed of 120 rev/min, and the time it takes for the grindstone to come to rest with only axle friction acting on it. To find the answers, the equation for torque is used, as well as the given normal force and coefficient of friction. The tangential force needed is calculated by finding the torque produced by the normal force, and the time for the grindstone to come to rest is found by using the given friction torque and moment of inertia.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

A 50kg grindstone is a solid disk .26 in radius. You press an ax down on the rim with a normal force of 160N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the blade and the stone is .6, and there is a constant friction torque of 6.5 NM between the axle of the stone and its bearings. (a) How much force must be applied tangentially at the end of a crank handle .5 m long to bring the stone from rest to 120 rev/min in 9 seconds? (b) After the grindstone attains an angular speed of 120 rev/min, what tangential force at the end of the handle is needed to maintain a constant angular speed of 120 rev/min? (c) How much time does it take the grindstone to come from 120 rev/min to rest if it is acted on by the axle friction alone?

Homework Equations

for solid disk: I = (1/2)MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

120 rev/min = 12.56 rad/s
i found the acceleration would have to be 1.4 rad/s^2 and it would travel 56.7 radians
I = 1.69

i tried this:

t - 6.5Nm(from torqu friction) - torque friction from ax = I(Arad)

but I am not entirely sure how to get torque friction from ax. is it just Uk(Normal)(r) ?

and after i get total torque required I am not sure how to convert it into tangential force with the handle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
think about the defining equation for torque...

ok torque is FD so i guess Uk(normal)(2pie)(r) i'll try that

ok nevermind i found all the answers. I am just tired and Physics homework takes sooooo long lol + i have 2 more assignments to do after this in phyiscs :(

first work out what tangential force the normal force will produce... you are given the coefficient of friction. You then know what this tangential force is and how far it is from the centre, so you can work out the torque

1. How do I calculate torque and force in a homework problem?

To calculate torque, use the formula T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is the distance from the pivot point. To calculate force, use the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. What is the difference between torque and force?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, while force is a measure of the overall strength of a push or pull on an object. Torque is measured in newton-meters (Nm), while force is measured in newtons (N).

3. How do I know which direction to apply the force or torque in a problem?

The direction of force or torque is dependent on the direction of the applied force. If the force is applied clockwise, the torque will also be in the clockwise direction. If the force is applied counterclockwise, the torque will be in the counterclockwise direction.

4. Can I use a different unit of measurement for torque and force?

Yes, you can use different units of measurement for torque and force, as long as they are converted properly. For example, torque can also be measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb) or inch-pounds (in-lb), while force can be measured in pounds (lbs).

5. What is the importance of solving torque and force problems in physics?

Solving torque and force problems is important in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. It also allows us to calculate the forces acting on an object and predict its motion. These concepts are crucial in various fields such as engineering and mechanics.