1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and frequency

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A simple model of a polar molecule is a rod of length L with mass m where the charges q
    and -q is arranged at each end of the rod. The molecule is located between two capacitorplates where spacing is on potential difference between the capacitor is V. The molecule will have a
    equilibrium position (apart from gravity), but when the molecule is rotated away from the angle θ
    equilibrium position will be affected by a torque τ.

a) Calculate the torque τ. Calculate the frequency f at which the molecule can perform small oscillations around the equilibrium position

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think of using the force on the charges which is the charge * electric field strength, but i dont know how to express that, can someone help please

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2014 #2
    If I am illustrating this correctly then this should have a couple moment applied to the "rod"?

The wording on this is a bit confusing, and if there a screenshot to go along with this, so we can all be on the same page?

4. Mar 26, 2014 #3
    I cant take a screenshot, but how to calculate a torque of these charges and this rod.

5. Mar 26, 2014 #4
    Well look at the force on your charges due to the magnetic field contained within the capacitor and recognize you'd have two equivalent moments directed in opposite directions at all times, which is a couple.

The equilibrium position is going to be at your center of mass of the rod it looks like.

6. Mar 26, 2014 #5
    How do i express that to make sense, i am really confused

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted