1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and friction

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    A rod of mass M rests vertically on the floor, held in place by static friction. IF the coefficient of static friction is [tex]\mu_{s}[/tex], find the maximum force F that can be applied to the rod at its midpoint before it slips.

I'm not exactly sure what i am suppose to be looking for.. Obviously there will be a FBD of the rod and friction will oppose the force, i need to find the maximum force of static friction and than anything greater than that will push the rod over. Where do i start with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The rod is going to rotate but not necessarily slip if F is small enough. You must look at the torque and resulting acceleration of the rod, then apply Newton 2 for the translational motion of the rod's center of mass. You need to find I of the rod also before you begin.

4. Nov 6, 2007 #3
    so are you saying i would use:

[tex]\alpha = LF/I = LF/(1/3)ML^{2}[/tex]
    than
    [tex]a= \alpha L[/tex]
    than
    [tex]F = m[ \alpha L + \mu_{s}g][/tex]

5. Nov 6, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

good, you are almost there; however, the load is applied at midpoint...adjust your torque and the tangential aceleration of the center of mass accordingly.

6. Nov 6, 2007 #5
    Ok i did that and i got as an answer

[tex]F = (3F/2) + \mu_{s}Mg[/tex]

is that right?

(I'm trying to think through this verbally here:)
    I can't see how its possible for a force to depend on the force itself?... or can i re-arrange the formula and than i would get:

[tex]F = (-2 \mu_{s}Mg)[/tex]

But why the negative?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  7. Nov 7, 2007 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know what you did here...your original approach was good, its just that you forgot thet the torque was FL/2 and not FL; and the acceleration was (alpha)L/2 and not (alpha)L. Redo and resubmit, please.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?