1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and moment of inertia

1. Nov 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Got a spicy one for you today.
    There is a cylinder of mass 5kg (M) with no angular velocity and no velocity, on a surface of static friction constant μ=0.6 . It's radius is .1 meters (R). Its baricentric moment of inertia is characterized by I=.5MR^2 . Gravity is 10m/s. Kinematic μ=0.4 is also given of the flat surface.

At time t=0s, torque is applied by an external force of a magnitude of η=2 Newton meters so that it begins to roll.

Find the acceleration of the center of mass of the cylinder.
    The answer in the book is a=2.67m/s^2
    Capture.PNG
    2. Relevant equations
    Rototranslation
    Σmoment of inertia = Iα
    ma=Σforces
    αR=a
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright, so I began assuming it would begin rolling without sliding, thus we use static μ.
    I sum up the inertias like so to find the angular acceleration of the cylinder.
    η-μR=Iα ⇒ R(η-μR)/I=a
    This gives me a negative number. I am confused. The answer in the book is a=2.67m/s^2

Why is it that simply using inertias does not work? I hear it might be done setting a fixed point and using angular momentum, but the problem is in the Rototranslation chapter.

Edit:
    I believe I managed to solve it:

Ffriction=ma α=a/r
    Mcupla-Ff*r=mr^2*α/2 ⇒ Mc-mar=mr*a/2 ⇒ Mc= 3mar/2 ⇒ a=2Mc/(3mr) ⇒ a=2.67m/s^2

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

With regard to your first attempt, if the coefficient of static friction is ##\mu_s## and the normal force is N, what is the force of static friction? Think carefully before answering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted