Solving Torque and Moment Problems: Why Can't We Use Center of Mass as Pivot?

In summary, the equation 14(0.5x)=m(0.5x)+4(0.5x) tells you that if you want to find the mass of the object, you need to add the masses of the two points that are a distance of 0.5 from the object's center of mass. The equation also says that if you want to find the distance between the two masses, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. The equation also says that the object's center of mass is the point where the torque from the normal force and the weight are equal.
Asad Raza

Homework Statement

Regarding part (c) (i), as we know that we can consider any of the convenient point as our pivot. If I consider the point where the 5kg mass (center of mass of the bag) acts, the asnwer turns out to be wrong. The correct answer has 4kg mass as pivot

Homework Equations

14(0.5x)=m(0.5x)+4(0.5x)
m=mass to be found
x=distance from the 5kg mass I have considered as pivot

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the equation above, x cancels out and we should get m=10kg, but the answer is 4+5(1/2)=16.5kg. Kindly explain why my approach is wrong and why can't we take the center of mass of the bag as our pivot?[/B]

Attachments

• BPho.jpg
    BPho.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
Asad Raza said:
According to the equation above, x cancels out and we should get m=10kg, but the answer is 4+5(1/2)=16.5kg. Kindly explain why my approach is wrong and why can't we take the center of mass of the bag as our pivot?
You can take the center as your axis, but you must include the torque due to all forces. There's an upward normal force acting at point C. (That's one reason to take point C as the pivot.)

Which upward normal reaction force is acting at point C. I can't figure out

Asad Raza said:
Which upward normal reaction force is acting at point C. I can't figure out
You'll need to apply another equilibrium condition to solve for it. (That's why C is a good choice for the axis: The normal force doesn't exert a torque about that point and thus you don't care what it is.)

Likes CWatters
Here I just got to know that a normal force exists at point C. In any other scenario, I may repeat the same mistake of taking the wrong pivot. Therefore, kindly spare some of your precious time in answering what force it is? I'd be patiently waiting for your response.

Thanking you in anticipation :)

Asad Raza said:
Therefore, kindly spare some of your precious time in answering what force it is?
I'm not sure I understand your question. You do realize that the ground is supporting the suitcase with an upward force at C, right? To figure out what that force is, you'll need a second equation.

You got my question right, but the reaction force will only exist if there's a contact with the ground. Here, the bag is being lifted up the ground and there's no apparent contact

Asad Raza said:
You got my question right, but the reaction force will only exist if there's a contact with the ground. Here, the bag is being lifted up the ground and there's no apparent contact
The bag is still in contact with the ground at point C. (It's just being barely lifted so that end of the bag at point D just leaves the ground.)

If the bag was not supported by the ground, there would be no equilibrium.

Ahh! I see
But again, won't the normal reaction be canceled out by the weight?

Asad Raza said:
Ahh! I see
But again, won't the normal reaction be canceled out by the weight?
No. That would be true if the bag were just sitting on the ground. But someone's pulling it up. You'll need to figure out that force it you still want to use the center as your axis. (Which is fine! You need to prove to yourself that it still works.)

I do concede that my method cannot be applied. The point is: at C, although the bag isn't sitting on the ground, a part of weight above it is acting, and it should provide an equal reaction according to the part of that weight and make the moment zero. No?

Asad Raza said:
The point is: at C, although the bag isn't sitting on the ground, a part of weight above it is acting, and it should provide an equal reaction according to the part of that weight and make the moment zero. No?
I don't think that's a helpful way of looking at it. Better to just say: Since it's in equilibrium, the net force must be zero. Since there's an upward force on the handle, the normal force from the ground does not need to equal the full weight. (And the bag is in contact with the ground at point C.)

I am still not clear that how does the normal reaction causes a moment about the axis. Nonetheless, thank you for giving your precious time and helping me out.

Asad Raza said:
I am still not clear that how does the normal reaction causes a moment about the axis.
The normal force is like any other force acting on the bag.

Draw the free body diagram. It would show the normal force acting at point C. That creates a torque about any point except point C.

But weight will cancel that force out. No?

Asad Raza said:
No.

Asad Raza said:

No, and in any case what do you mean by "cancel out"?

I probably shouldn't draw it for you but here is a partial FBD anyway. I have left off the magnitude of the forces and assumed the case is empty. Got to leave you some work to do :-)

Note that the weight acts at the centre of mass (not at the wheel if that's what you were thinking). The Normal force acts at the wheel and there is another force on the handle. I have assumed the force at the handle acts vertically but it need not.

Suitcase FBD.png

CWatters said:
Note that the weight acts at the centre of mass

Just to clarify this.

Technically the weight of the case is distributed over the case. However that would be difficult (but not impossible to model). The simplest way to model it is to show the weight acting at the centre of mass which is roughly in the middle of the case if the mass is evenly distributed.

I got this. Thank you for help :)

Likes CWatters

1. What is torque and how is it related to moment in physics?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance from the force to the axis of rotation. Moment, on the other hand, refers to the tendency of an object to rotate around an axis. It is also known as torque in engineering and mechanics.

2. Why can't we use the center of mass as a pivot point in solving torque and moment problems?

The center of mass is the point at which the entire mass of an object is considered to be concentrated. It is not a fixed point and can change depending on the orientation of the object. Therefore, using the center of mass as a pivot point can result in incorrect calculations and solutions for torque and moment problems.

3. What is the significance of choosing the right pivot point in solving torque and moment problems?

The choice of pivot point is crucial in solving torque and moment problems as it affects the magnitude and direction of the calculated torque. Choosing the wrong pivot point can lead to incorrect solutions and can also make the problem more complex to solve.

4. How do we determine the best pivot point for a given problem?

The best pivot point is usually the point at which the applied force is acting or the point where the object is fixed or supported. This ensures that the perpendicular distance between the force and the pivot point is easily measurable and simplifies the calculation of torque. In some cases, choosing a point that eliminates unknown variables can also be a better choice.

5. Can we apply the concept of torque and moment in everyday situations?

Yes, the concept of torque and moment is applicable in many real-life situations, such as opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, or even riding a bike. Understanding these principles can help us optimize our efforts and make tasks easier to perform.