Calculating Torque for Gyroscopes to Precess in Hubble Telescope

In summary: I'm still not sure about the "2π" in the first line, but there's no way to know if that's right without some context. I was just assuming you used the same set of equations as in the question, because I didn't want to second guess that. I'm not sure why you use 18000 here, but have 360 in the next line. It looks like you have 2π in the first line, and then you say you used radians in the second line. I'm not sure about that, but I think you are on the right track and you have the basic idea right. I'm not sure what to say about the "2π
Physics Dad
Question
The Hubble Space Telescope is stabilized to within an angle of about 2 millionths of a degree by means of a series of gyroscopes that spin at 1.92×104 rpm . Although the structure of these gyroscopes is actually quite complex, we can model each of the gyroscopes as a thin-walled cylinder of mass 2.00 kg and diameter 5.00 cm , spinning about its central axis.

How large a torque would it take to cause these gyroscopes to precess through an angle of 1.20×10-6 degree during a 5.00 hour exposure of a galaxy?

Equations
I=mr2
L=Iω
Ω=dΦ/dt
τ=ΩL

Variables and Conversions
m=2.00kg
r=0.025m
dΦ=(1.20×10-6×2π)/360 = 2.09×10-8 rad
dt=5×60×60=1800s
ω=(1.92×104×2π)/60 = 640π rad/s

Attempt at Solution

I=(2.00kg)(0.025)2=1.25×10-3kgm2
L=(1.25×10-3kgm2)(640π)=4π/5
Ω=(2.09×10-8)/(1800)=1.16×10-12

τ=(1.16×10-12)(4π/5)

=2.92×10-12Nm

My answer is incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the ridiculous "mastering physics" website. It is the most pointless thing ever. I would much rather we were given an assignment to complete as at least then you can receive constructive feedback as opposed to simply being told the answer is wrong.

I am happy to be wrong as long as I can understand why. I am sure I have just made a simple mistake, like use the wrong equation or miscalculate something, but with no guidance I can't fix it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks almost completely correct to me, but I found one arithmetic mistake: ## \Omega =1.16 E-11 ##. (You missed the exponent by one unit). At least I think that's one place that needs a correction... editing..that would make the answer 2.92 E-11 if everything else is correct, which I think it may be.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure if you can call it helpful, but I don't see anything wrong with this. I am 99.9% sure this is the right approach, and I checked almost all of the math. (I could only approximate multiplying by pi in the last step. doing it in my head while lying in bed.)

Charles Link said:
It looks almost completely correct to me, but I found one arithmetic mistake: ## \Omega =1.16 E-11 ##. (You missed the exponent by one unit). At least I think that's one place that needs a correction... editing..that would make the answer 2.92 E-11 if everything else is correct, which I think it may be.

I suck. What hurts more than having said I didn't see anything wrong is saying so AFTER you already found this mistake. Jeez.

Cutter Ketch said:
I suck. What hurts more than having said I didn't see anything wrong is saying so AFTER you already found this mistake. Jeez.
That tends to re-enforce my belief that this might be the OP's only error. Looking forward to hearing from the OP.

Thank you all for the replies, turns out there was a mistake in the system and my answer of 2.92*1012 was correct after all. Had this verified by 3 lecturers at uni today.

You can all sleep easy now.

Thanks again.

Physics Dad said:
Thank you all for the replies, turns out there was a mistake in the system and my answer of 2.92*1012 was correct after all. Had this verified by 3 lecturers at uni today.

You can all sleep easy now.

Thanks again.
Very good, except when you said you had the correct answer after all, I was pretty sure there must be a second error and I found it: ## dt=(5)(60)(60)=18000 ##, instead of 1800. Glad you got the right answer, but looks like you had offsetting errors.

1. What is torque and why is it important for gyroscopes in the Hubble Telescope?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In the case of gyroscopes in the Hubble Telescope, torque is important because it is what causes the gyroscopes to precess, or rotate, in order to maintain their orientation in space.

2. How is torque calculated for gyroscopes in the Hubble Telescope?

Torque is calculated using the formula: torque = force x distance. In the case of gyroscopes in the Hubble Telescope, the force is the gravitational force exerted by Earth and the distance is the distance between the center of mass of the gyroscope and the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the torque on gyroscopes in the Hubble Telescope?

The torque on gyroscopes in the Hubble Telescope is affected by the mass of the gyroscope, the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation, and the gravitational force exerted by Earth. Other factors such as external forces and friction can also affect the torque.

4. How is torque used to control the precession of gyroscopes in the Hubble Telescope?

The torque applied to gyroscopes in the Hubble Telescope is used to control their precession by adjusting the force and distance factors. This can be done by changing the orientation of the gyroscope or by adjusting the gravitational force acting on it.

5. What are the consequences of incorrect torque calculations for gyroscopes in the Hubble Telescope?

If the torque calculations for gyroscopes in the Hubble Telescope are incorrect, it can lead to incorrect precession and orientation of the gyroscopes. This can affect the accuracy of the telescope's observations and potentially lead to errors in data collection and analysis.