Understanding Torque Consumption in a Multi-Pulley System

In summary, the system has three shafts, each with a different input pulley. The first shaft has a pulley that is 25.4mm in size, and it is connected to the second shaft via a belt. The second shaft has a pulley that is 82.5mm in size, and it is connected to the third shaft via a belt. The jack shaft has a pulley that is 40.6mm in size, and it is connected to the first and second shafts. The first and second shafts each have a pulley that is 100% of the torque that is available on the jack shaft. The third shaft doesn't have a pulley, and it is just going along for the ride.
billinr
I would like to ask if anyone could explain how torque is consumed through a reduction ratio - in this case pulleys on a common shaft.

I have a three shaft system, joined by belts.
The motor pulley is 25.4mm, turning at 100 rpm, with an available 1.4Nm torque. This is connected to the second shaft via belt. The second shaft has an input pulley of 82.5mm.

Also on the second shaft is another pulley of 24.5mm. This pulley is connected via belt to a third shaft with a 40.6mm pulley.

My question is: If the final pulley makes use of 100% of the torque available, how would I calculate how much of the torque is used at the jack shaft? If I negate any losses from bearings, does the ratio have any effect on the torque or is the intermediate shaft just going along for the ride?

On the other side, does the ratio change the torque that is available at the third shaft?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From the belt ratios you should be able to find the angular speed at each shaft in rpm. If the belts don't slip, there is no loss of speed. If you neglect friction in the system, there is no loss of torque in the driveline. Convert shaft speeds to radian per second. The power at every shaft, computed as torque times speed (in watts), would then be constant due to conservation of power at each instant of time. Since you know the input power, you can find torque at each shaft from the power and radian shaft speed.

Edit: torque input equals torque output on the jack shaft when power is conserved, but force obviously differs in each belt operating at a different radius.

Last edited:
SystemTheory
Thank you for the reply. This is making a bit more sense.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is commonly measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. Mathematically, it can be represented as T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the applied force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is a pulley ratio?

A pulley ratio is a comparison of the number of teeth or grooves on two pulleys connected by a belt or chain. It is used to determine the mechanical advantage and speed of a pulley system.

4. How is a pulley ratio calculated?

To calculate a pulley ratio, divide the number of teeth or grooves on the larger pulley by the number on the smaller pulley. For example, if one pulley has 20 teeth and the other has 10, the pulley ratio would be 20/10, or 2:1.

5. How does the pulley ratio affect torque?

The pulley ratio affects torque by changing the mechanical advantage of the system. A higher pulley ratio means that the system can lift heavier loads with less force, but the trade-off is a slower speed. On the other hand, a lower pulley ratio allows for faster speed but requires more force to lift the same load.