Torque Needs for Rotating Wheels Without Skid

In summary, the torque applied to one wheel must overcome the static friction moment at the contact point in order to start rotation. After initial rotation, the torque can decrease to prevent skidding. However, there will always be a minimum amount of skidding at the start of rotation. The force of static friction will adjust to prevent relative motion between the two wheels.
Kekrozz
If I have two wheels with a contact point connection when the one of the wheels is starting a rotation due to a certain torque which condition do the torque have to fulfill in order to:
1) starting the rotation
2) guarantee a rotation without skid

My toughs for now are:
1) the torque has to face the static friction moment acting on the contact point. This is just to start the rotation.
2) after the initial rotation the torque can has to decrease in order to transmit the right tangential force for assure no skid.
Result (for me): there always be a minimum skid at the rotation starts.

Please answer me because this is killing me :nb):nb):nb):nb)

Physics news on Phys.org
The force of static friction will take on whatever value it has to (within its limits) in order to prevent relative motion between the two wheels. If the wheels are at rest and under no external torques than the force of static friction will be zero. There is nothing to overcome.

If any torque is applied to the one wheel, no matter how small, the static friction will adjust itself so that the two wheels accelerate smoothly together.

1. What is torque and why is it important for rotating wheels without skid?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the context of rotating wheels without skid, torque is important because it is what allows the wheels to move and maintain traction without slipping. Without enough torque, the wheels may not be able to overcome the friction between the tires and the surface, resulting in skidding.

2. How do you calculate the torque needs for rotating wheels without skid?

The torque needed for rotating wheels without skid can be calculated using the formula: torque = force x radius. This means that the amount of torque required depends on the amount of force applied to the wheels and the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors can affect the torque needs for rotating wheels without skid?

Several factors can affect the torque needs for rotating wheels without skid, including the weight of the vehicle, the type and condition of the tires, the surface of the road, and the speed at which the vehicle is traveling. In addition, the incline of the road and any external forces, such as wind or friction, can also impact the torque needs.

4. How can you increase the torque for rotating wheels without skid?

There are a few ways to increase the torque for rotating wheels without skid. One way is to increase the force applied to the wheels, either by increasing the engine power or by using a lower gear ratio. Another way is to decrease the radius of the wheels by using smaller tires, which will increase the torque without increasing the force.

5. What are some potential consequences of not having enough torque for rotating wheels without skid?

If a vehicle does not have enough torque for rotating wheels without skid, it can result in skidding, which can be dangerous and cause loss of control. In addition, not having enough torque can also lead to excessive wear and tear on the tires, decreased fuel efficiency, and potential damage to the vehicle's drivetrain.