What is the tension in the cable?

In summary, the conversation discusses a system in equilibrium with given numerical values for angles and masses. The question asks for the numerical value of tension in the cable, but it is determined that there is not enough data to find it. However, through a series of hints and equations, the group is able to determine the tension in the cable to be 11816 N.
kankerfist
The picture I attached to this thread is a system that I came across while studying for my final exam today. It is a system that is in equilibrium, and the only numerical values are:

Angle of wire/ground: 30
Angle of strut/ground: 45
Mass of hanging weight: 500 lb
Mass of strut: 100 lb (uniform mass)

I have written out all the forces that I can find, several of which are couples that cancel out, but I cannot find a numerical value for the tension in the cable T. The question asks what the tension is, and I have begun to think there is no way to describe tension numerically from the given data. Can someone please help me out by confirming that there isn't enough data here to describe tension numerically? Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• confusing.JPG
    confusing.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 525
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like there's enough information to me. Have you applied the equilibrium conditions to the strut? (What's the net torque on the strut due to all the forces on it?)

The net torque at P has to be zero. I guess my problem is that I haven't figured out how to numerically describe the positions of the forces relative to P. For instance, one of the torque forces is the 500 lb weight. I know the direction of the force is straight down, but I'm not sure how to numerically find its position vector relative to P. If I did, then I could calculate the cross product to find the torque due to the 500 lb weight. Thanks for the reply!

Perhaps you are thinking that you need the length of the strut? If that's the problem, just call the length "L". You'll find that you don't need the numerical value: when you write the torque equation, the length will cancel out.

(Tip: Try to solve the problem symbolically. Wait until the last step before reaching for the calculator.)

kankerfist said:
I guess my problem is that I haven't figured out how to numerically describe the positions of the forces relative to P. For instance, one of the torque forces is the 500 lb weight. I know the direction of the force is straight down, but I'm not sure how to numerically find its position vector relative to P.
The torque force of the 500 lb weight is applied at the top of the strut and the direction of this force is as you said straight down. Then, you need to find the lever arm.

The lever arm is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to a line drawn along the direction of the force.

Once you know the lever-arm, you may find the torque.
You may follow the same strategy to find the other torques.:rolleyes:

Remember Doc Al's hints!

You guys are about 10x as helpful as my teacher! Here is where I have gotten:
Grav Torques from the masses + Torque from wire's tension = 0,
so:
x_strut is distance from P to the 500lb mass lever arm
x_wire is distance from where the wire is grounded to P
h is the height of where the wire and strut meet

(226.8)(9.8)(x_strut) + (45.36)(9.8)(x_strut / 2) = (Tension)(x_wire)

Then geometrically I know that:
Sin[30] = h/(x_strut + x_wire)
Sin[45] = h/x_strut

so:
h = (x_strut + x_wire)Sin[30] = (x_strut)Sin[45]

Solving for x_wire:
x_wire = 0.414 x_strut

Then plugging into the original torque equation gives me:
(226.8)(9.8)(x_strut) + (45.36)(9.8)(x_strut / 2) = (Tension)(0.414 x_strut)

Solving this for Tension yields 5905 N of tension in the wire. Any hints on whether or not I'm approaching this correctly would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Actually, I got the lever arm on tension messed up there. Looks like the lever arm of tension is actually (0.414)(x_strut)Sin(30)

This fix yields a tension of 11816 N of tension in the wire

kankerfist said:
x_strut is distance from P to the 500lb mass lever arm
h is the height of where the wire and strut meet
To provide a clearer definition, it would be better to say that [tex]x_{strut}[/tex] is the HORIZONTAL distance from P to the vertical wire connecting the 500lb mass. Also, h is the height of the point where the wire and strut meet.

kankerfist said:
Then geometrically I know that:
Sin[30] = h/(x_strut + x_wire)
Sin[45] = h/x_strut
Really? Check again!

Last edited:
kankerfist said:
Here is where I have gotten:
Grav Torques from the masses + Torque from wire's tension = 0,
so:
Any hints on whether or not I'm approaching this correctly would be greatly appreciated!
Looks like you have things a bit messed up. Let's do it step by step. (I'll use "L" as the length of the strut.) First, let's find the clockwise torques about point P:
-due to the weight of the strut: (L/2)*(100 lbs)* sin(45)
-due to the hanging mass: (L)*(500 lbs)* sin(45)

Now find the counterclockwise torque about point P, which is due to the tension in the wire. To do that you need to figure out the angle that the wire makes with the strut. It's easy--just use what you know about triangles. I'll call that angle "theta":
-due to wire: (L)*(T) sin(theta)

Once you figure out theta, just set total torque equal to zero (or clockwise torques equal to counterclockwise torques -- same thing) and solve for T.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope or cable, when it is pulled at both ends. It is the force that keeps the medium taut and is directed along the length of the medium.

How are torque and tension related?

Torque and tension are related in that both involve forces acting on an object. Torque is a rotational force, while tension is a force that is transmitted through a medium. In some cases, torque can lead to tension in a medium, such as when a rope is used to turn a wheel.

What are some real-world applications of torque and tension?

Torque and tension are important concepts in many fields, including engineering, physics, and biomechanics. Some examples of real-world applications include using torque to tighten bolts on machinery, using tension to support bridges and other structures, and using both torque and tension in the human body for movement and stability.

How can torque and tension be calculated and measured?

Torque and tension can be calculated using mathematical equations based on the forces and distances involved. They can also be measured using specialized tools, such as torque wrenches and tension meters, which provide accurate readings of the forces being applied. In some cases, torque and tension can also be estimated through physical observations and experiments.