1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and tension question

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

J5T6pCf.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    seems like Torque = r f sin theta should be used here but we don't know r.

Am I suppose to find the x and y components of the tension of the chain?

off topic : if the chain was moved so it would just be above the end of the rod, just like this : nFy8K4l.png , would it put less tension on the chain?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For variables you don't know, adopt a symbol and go to work. Good chance the thing will drop out towards the end.

4. Apr 20, 2015 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You do not always need to know all of the quantities. Why don't you start by simply assuming that the length of the rod is R and do things analytically from there. A good practice is to never try to insert numbers until you have arrived at your final expression.

5. Apr 20, 2015 #4
    No the chain is in the proper angle to help you calculate the torque of the tension of chain easily ##T_1=31.2r## where r is the length of rod. This torque will be countered by the torque of the weight. Can you find what is the angle ##\phi_1## that the weight makes with the line of rod and then find the torque of weight? You then can see that r is simplified when equating the two torques.

6. Apr 20, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Problem solving systematics urges you to list the relevant equations and the given/known data.
    You do know them already and you do use them already, but still it's a good way to get a grasp on an exercise.

In this case you want ##\Sigma\;\tau = 0## and indeed need ##\tau = \vec r\times\vec F = r F \sin\theta## but this ##\theta## is not the ##\theta## in the drawing that comes with your exercise.

Oh, am I a slow typist. And I need to do some paid work too, so I leave you to the other good helpers...

7. Apr 20, 2015 #6
    i'm not sure where you mean ϕ1. by weight, do you mean the right end of the rod?

8. Apr 20, 2015 #7
    No i mean the force of weight due to gravity... Can you draw a diagram with all the forces acting on the rod?

9. Apr 20, 2015 #8
    should be 78 degrees

10. Apr 20, 2015 #9
    Ok correct, now what is the torque of weight?

11. Apr 20, 2015 #10
    r f sin 78

f = mg

?

12. Apr 20, 2015 #11
    Not exactly. The force of weight is considered to be applied at the c.o.m of the rod. Where is the c.o.m of rod?

13. Apr 20, 2015 #12
    at the middle of the rod

14. Apr 20, 2015 #13
    ok so you have the weight acting on the middle of the rod, at an agle of 78, so what is its torque?

15. Apr 20, 2015 #14
    r/2 x mg x sin 78

?

16. Apr 20, 2015 #15
    yes correct.

17. Apr 20, 2015 #16
    do we need the torque of the chain? or is that given by the tension in the chain?

18. Apr 20, 2015 #17
    yes you need the torque of the chain. I already said in post #4 what it is. Equate the two torques and solve for m. What do you get?

19. Apr 20, 2015 #18
    torque of chain = r 31.2

r 31.2N = r mg sin 78

m = 3.544kg

?

20. Apr 20, 2015 #19
    Didnt we say the torque of weight is (r/2)mgsin(78)

21. Apr 20, 2015 #20
    whoops, yes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted