Solve Torque & Tension | Get Help Now!

In summary, The conversation is about solving for tension in a wire and modeling the forces acting on a pole in equilibrium. The person apologizes for their handwriting and asks for a quick response as their exam is tomorrow. They also mention having difficulty with resizing a picture. The other person asks for the question and the work done so far, but the lab closes before they can fully respond. The conversation ends with the correct answer being determined as 276.64 N.
slipF
http://s87050427.onlinehome.us/scan.jpg
how would I do this, and how would I solve for tension in the wire?
What i did was completely wrong, and I appologize in advance for my horrible horrible, handwriting.
Thanks in advance!
oh, and a quick response would be greatly appreciated, my exam is tomorrow :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: lol... I can't seem to make that picture the right size, it's either really really big, or really really tiny..

can you post the question? also post the work you've done so far

nevermind,,, I think I can make it out

Sorry,, the computer lab is closing,,, I didn't have time to work on your question

First draw a freebody diagram. You should be able to identify all the forces even though some of them would be eliminated from the mathematical analysis. This includes reactions, tension, etc.

how exactly would i model the forces acting on the wall?
the hypotnuse is not 90degrees, so I am not sure how i would handle that

slipF said:
how exactly would i model the forces acting on the wall?
the hypotnuse is not 90degrees, so I am not sure how i would handle that
You want the forces acting on the pole, not on the wall. The forces that the wall exerts on the pole are given.

Big hint: Since the pole is in equilibrium, the sum of the forces acting on it (in any direction) is zero.

Last edited:
ah ok, so the pole is 5kg
is it correct in saying the tension in the wire is 276.64 N too?

You got it.

1. What is torque and tension?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis, while tension is the force exerted on an object by pulling or stretching it.

2. How do I calculate torque and tension?

To calculate torque, multiply the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. To calculate tension, use the formula T = F * d, where T is tension, F is force, and d is the distance.

3. What are some real-world applications of torque and tension?

Torque and tension are important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics. They are used in designing and building structures, machines, and vehicles, as well as in everyday tasks such as opening a door or tightening a bolt.

4. How can I solve torque and tension problems?

To solve torque and tension problems, you will need to use the appropriate formulas and equations. It is important to accurately identify the variables involved and use units of measurement consistently.

5. Where can I get help with solving torque and tension?

You can seek help from a tutor, teacher, or online resources such as tutorials and practice problems. It is also important to thoroughly understand the concepts and principles behind torque and tension in order to effectively solve problems.