Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and the angle turned

1. Jul 16, 2007 #1
    Ok, So if i calculate the torque on an object, how do i then find out the rate at which that object turns?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Given the torque (and the rotational inertia) you can calculate the angular acceleration. The rest is kinematics.
  4. Jul 16, 2007 #3
    Ok, so this is for a snowboarding game..

What would be an approximate rotational intertia for a snowboader? His mass in the game is 75kg's.

Or how would I go about working out what his rotational intertia would be? I guess it would depend on the position of your arms and things wouldn't it.

Could I just approximate the snowboarder to be a solid cylinder or something?
  5. Jul 16, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

that sounds appropriate to me.
  6. Jul 16, 2007 #5

Well, there's a list of equations in physics that explain rotational motion:

[tex]\Sigma\tau = I\alpha[/tex]

Which allows you to relate torque to rotational acceleration. Then you can do the algebra to solve for, and calculus to integrate, the formula to get, in essence:

[tex]\Delta\theta = \omega t + 1/2[\Sigma\tau/I] t^2[/tex]

But also, yes, it is reasonable to assume that the torque will distribute itself in a uniform way on the skier.
  7. Jul 16, 2007 #6

Homework Helper

The way a snowboarder turns is complicated. A person can twist his body at the waist causing the snowboard to yaw (a similar method is used for unicycles). A person can shift weight on the board front to back and also inwards and outwards with the twist at the waist method to create a lean. A person can also just hop and yaw the snowboard. Leaning on the edges of the snowboard will cause it to turn.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?