How to Calculate Angular Speed of a Rotating Turntable with Added Mass

In summary, a large wooden turntable in the shape of a flat uniform disk has a radius of 2.00m and a total mass of 140kg. The turntable is initially rotating at 2.00rad/s about a vertical axis through its center. Suddenly, a 65.0-kg parachutist makes a soft landing on the turntable at a point near the outer edge. The parachutist's weight causes a torque about the rotation axis, and the turntable's angular momentum about that axis is conserved.
elsternj

Homework Statement

A large wooden turntable in the shape of a flat uniform disk has a radius of 2.00m and a total mass of 140kg . The turntable is initially rotating at 2.00rad/s about a vertical axis through its center. Suddenly, a 65.0-kg parachutist makes a soft landing on the turntable at a point near the outer edge.

Find the angular speed of the turntable after the parachutist lands. (Assume that you can treat the parachutist as a particle.)

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex]=Fd
[tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=v2/r
v=r[tex]\omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay this is how I tried to solve this (i could be way off)

[tex]\tau[/tex]=Fd
[tex]\tau[/tex]=(637)(2) < this is the weight of the parachutist multiplied by the radius
[tex]\tau[/tex] = 1274

[tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
1274 = mr2[tex]\alpha[/tex]
1274 = 205(2)2[tex]\alpha[/tex] < this is the torque i found in the previous equation. I added the mass of the the parachutist to the mass of the turntable times the radius squared and solved for [tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=1.5

[tex]\alpha[/tex]=v2/r
v = 1.76

v = r[tex]\omega[/tex]
[tex]\omega[/tex] = .88

Can someone steer me in the right direction? Tell me what I did wrong here? Or a easier approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight of the parachutist doesn't really exert a torque on the system about the rotation axis. Why? The force vector points perpendicularly into the disk, so there is no component of his weight that contributes to rotational torque about that central axis.

The key to this problem is angular momentum, which is conserved because there are only internal torques acting on the system. Remember: angular momentum is conserved about an inertial rotational axis provided that no external torque acts on the system about that axis.

So, now that you know Li = Lf, take it from here.

elsternj said:
[tex]\tau[/tex]=Fd
[tex]\tau[/tex]=(637)(2) < this is the weight of the parachutist multiplied by the radius
[tex]\tau[/tex] = 1274

The F in [tex]\tau[/tex]=Fd is the component of the force that goes into rotating the object. The weight of the parachutist pushes directly downwards, and does not directly apply any torque. Instead, the turntable tries to accelerate the parachutist after he touches down, and static friction between him and the turntable applies the torque.

However, the forces involved are much too complicated to model. Instead, try using the conservation of angular momentum, since there are no sources of external torque acting on the turntable+parachutist system.

EDIT: oops, sorry Rob

okay that seems simple enough but still not coming up with the right answer.

L = I[tex]\omega[/tex]
I = mr2/2

L = (140)(2)2/2(2)
L = 560

560 = mr2/2([tex]\omega[/tex])
560 = (205)(2)2/2([tex]\omega[/tex])
[tex]\omega[/tex] = 1.37

Not the right answer

I also used the equation L = r x mv (v = r[tex]\omega[/tex]) for both and I got the same answer. any insight?

Your initial L is correct as far as I can tell. It is your final L that is the problem.

The new moment of inertia is not simply (m+M)r2. Treat the person as a point particle, which will have the same final angular velocity as the disk, whose moment of inertia is the same. You treat them separately, because the disk and the person each have angular momentum about the same rotation axis. What you've done there is treated it as if the disk has simply become more massive, which is not the case (unless the person's body splattered and spread uniformly across the disk, but that'd be pretty grotesque).

having trouble finding the moment of inertia once the parachutist lands then. I = [tex]\sum[/tex]mr2

1120 = (140)(2)2 + (65)(2)2[tex]\omega[/tex]

and the answer still comes out to be 1.37. Wouldn't this be treating it as a 2 particle system?

actually i just tried mr^2 / 2 (disk) + mr^2 (parachutist) and got the right answer.

this the right way?

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object.

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates about an axis, measured in radians per unit time.

How are torque and angular speed related?

Torque and angular speed are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in torque will result in an increase in angular speed, and vice versa.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is T = r x F, where T is torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and F is the force applied.

What are some real-world applications of torque and angular speed?

Torque and angular speed play a crucial role in many everyday objects, such as cars, bicycles, and household appliances. They also have important applications in engineering, robotics, and sports technology.