Solve Torque Beam Problem: Mass Calculation

In summary, the length of the beam is 47 cm with R1 = 11 cm and r2 = 26cm. The mass of the beam is 6.0 kg. To determine the mass on the beam, the net torque equation ξτ=τ(triangle) - τ(rectangle) can be used. The fulcrum, which is the triangle, is the center of rotation for calculating the torques. The rectangle contributes a torque of MG sin δ, while the beam itself can be divided into two separate masses on either side of the fulcrum, each with their own torque. The equations available for solving this problem are that the net vertical force is zero and that the net torque is zero. Choosing the
Julian3

Homework Statement

The beam is 47 cm in length. The other length measurements are R1 = 11 cm, and r2 = 26cm. The mass of the beam is 6.0 kg. Determine the mass on the beam.

Homework Equations

τ= F(R)Sinδ ( don't know if the circle thing is theta closest one i could find for it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I wrote out a net torgue equation ξτ=τ(triangle) - τ(rectangle) and then i got to the torque of the rectangle would be MG sin δ but and then re arranged to fine M but I don't know how to get the τ(Triangle) because it dosent give us the force to solve for it and I am kinda lost; i also said the radius was 10cm.

<Mentor note: duplicate images removed>

Attachments

• IMG_1831.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 652
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
didnt mean to upload same picture three times and don't know why its upside down

If the system is in balance then all the individual forces will be vertical, perpendicular to the beam. So you shouldn't need any trig functions for this problem.

Label your diagram with the individual forces acting on the beam. Hint: The beam itself can be divided into separate mass sections on either side of the fulcrum.

gneill said:
If the system is in balance then all the individual forces will be vertical, perpendicular to the beam. So you shouldn't need any trig functions for this problem.

Label your diagram with the individual forces acting on the beam. Hint: The beam itself can be divided into separate mass sections on either side of the fulcrum.
And the fulcrum is the triangle right?

Julian3 said:
And the fulcrum is the triangle right?
Right.

Okay so we have the MG from the rectangle and we have Fa from the fulcrum and the length is 20 cm but the radius from the rectangle is 11 cm and I know you have to solve for mass but I still don't get how to get the force from the fulcrum?

Julian3 said:
Okay so we have the MG from the rectangle and we have Fa from the fulcrum and the length is 20 cm but the radius from the rectangle is 11 cm and I know you have to solve for mass but I still don't get how to get the force from the fulcrum?
You can choose any location as a center of rotation about which to find the torques. An end of the beam may not be the best choice in this case. You want the system to balance about the fulcrum, so wouldn't that make a better choice for the center of rotation?

gneill said:
You can choose any location as a center of rotation about which to find the toques. An end of the beam may not be the best choice in this case. You want the system to balance about the fulcrum, so wouldn't that make a better choice for the center of rotation?
Im sorry i get what your trying to say but i just can't relate that to help me because in my mind this is how I am working it out Στ=τ(folcum) + -τ(rectangle) and the rectangle is mg and i know the net force is 0 but i don't get what you are trying to say ? I am sorry for being so helpless i just don't understand this at all

There are three masses to be concerned about here. The beam is comprised of two masses, one on each side of the fulcrum. The rectangle is the third mass. Each mass presents a force due to its weight. Each force is on one side of the fulcrum or the other. So each causes a torque about the fulcrum.

Fig1.gif

Can you identify the locations where each of the masses applies its force with respect to the fulcrum? What are their distances from the fulcrum?

Julian3 said:
Im sorry i get what your trying to say but i just can't relate that to help me because in my mind this is how I am working it out Στ=τ(folcum) + -τ(rectangle) and the rectangle is mg and i know the net force is 0 but i don't get what you are trying to say ? I am sorry for being so helpless i just don't understand this at all
There are two equations available here (since there are no horizontal forces). One is that the net vertical force is zero, and the other is that net torque is zero. In principle, it doesn't matter what point you choose as the axis for calculating torque. But, as gneill wrote, choosing that point wisely can make the solution easier.
In this question, you not care what the force at the fulcrum is. If you choose the fulcrum as the axis for calculating torque then that unknown force does not feature in the torque equation. This will allow you to solve the question without considering the balance of vertical forces. If you choose any other point then the force a the fulcrum will feature in the torque equation, and you will have to use the vertical force balance equation as well in order to get a solution.
So, what is the torque about the fulcrum from the rectangular block?
What is the torque about the fulcrum from the beam?

haruspex said:
There are two equations available here (since there are no horizontal forces). One is that the net vertical force is zero, and the other is that net torque is zero. In principle, it doesn't matter what point you choose as the axis for calculating torque. But, as gneill wrote, choosing that point wisely can make the solution easier.
In this question, you not care what the force at the fulcrum is. If you choose the fulcrum as the axis for calculating torque then that unknown force does not feature in the torque equation. This will allow you to solve the question without considering the balance of vertical forces. If you choose any other point then the force a the fulcrum will feature in the torque equation, and you will have to use the vertical force balance equation as well in order to get a solution.
So, what is the torque about the fulcrum from the rectangular block?
What is the torque about the fulcrum from the beam?
Im sorry for the late reply and i just want to say thank you for attempting to help me and i did get it done with the correct anwsers but the amount of confusion i was in and the help i needed this would have had over 200 replies before i got the anwser right but thanks for trying to help me i appritate it

1. How do you calculate torque on a beam?

To calculate the torque on a beam, you need to multiply the force applied to the beam by the distance between the force and the pivot point. This can be represented by the equation: torque = force x distance.

2. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is torque = force x distance. The force is measured in newtons (N) and the distance is measured in meters (m).

3. How do you find the mass of a beam using torque?

In order to find the mass of a beam using torque, you will need to know the length of the beam, the distance of the force from the pivot point, and the amount of torque applied. You can use the equation torque = force x distance to solve for the mass of the beam.

4. Can you use torque to determine the center of mass of a beam?

Yes, you can use torque to determine the center of mass of a beam. To do so, you will need to know the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass and the mass of the beam. The equation for this is: center of mass = torque / mass.

5. What are some common units used for torque and mass calculations?

The most common units used for torque and mass calculations are newtons (N) for force, meters (m) for distance, and kilograms (kg) for mass. However, it is important to always check the units of your given values to ensure they are consistent before plugging them into any equations.