1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque By a Mass on a Disk

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 8.0-cm radius disk with a rotational inertia of 0.12 kg m2 is free to rotate on a horizontal axis. A string is fastened to the surface of the disk and a 10-kg mass hangs from the other end. The mass is raised by using a crank to apply a 9.0-N m torque to the disk. The acceleration of the mass is:

2. Relevant equations
    torque = I(ang. accel)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no clue. I tried solving for the angular acceleration, but I don't know how to connect the acceleration of the mass to the acceleration of the disk.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

See if this helps - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi#cmi

and

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi - general formulae

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rotq.html#rq - rotational quantities.

Given: 8.0-cm radius disk, so r = 0.08 m
    rotational inertia of 0.12 kg-m2, so I = 0.12 kg-m2

Find the appropriate expression for I of a disk.

The disk is rotating on a horizontal axis. The suspended mass has a weight pulling it down, and the crank applies a torque to the disk and suspended weight at moment r.

What is the net moment on the suspended mass?

4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    Is the moment arm of the force assumed to be r? From the question, I thought the string was attached to an arbitrary point on the disc, and a crank was spinning the mass on the other end of the string.

I don't know how to calculate the net moment. It seems that the net moment would depend on the length of the string.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  5. Nov 19, 2007 #4
    The linear acceleration of the mass should be the same as that of the disk. If we just find the linear acceleration of the disk with net torque 9 Nm, we get the answer.

I think the answer is 6 m/s^2

6. Nov 19, 2007 #5
    The general idea how to solve these problems is the following:

Apply Newtons Second Law in Linear Motion --> Sum F = m*a
    Apply Newtons Second Law for Rotational Motion --> Sum Torque = I * alpha

In any closed system there is the relationship that a = r*alpha, which means that the linear acceleration is the same for both the mass and the disk.

I believe that if you use those two steps it will be easier to understand whether your answer is correct or not.

I suspect that your answer is incorrect there should be torque from both the force that the gravity force of the mass(each in opposite directions)

7. Nov 19, 2007 #6
    Anyone have a possible solution? I feel this problem is impossible. The acceleration of the mass would undoubtedly be dependent on the length of string.

8. Nov 19, 2007 #7
    Like i said above:
    For the mass hanging on the string:
    Sum F = m*a <=> T- mg = ma --> T = ma + mg

For the disk:
    Sum Torque = I*alpha --> F*r - T*r = I * alpha or F*r - T*r = I*a/r

Substituting the value of the Tension we have above, we get:

F*r - (ma+mg)*r = I*a/r ==> a = (F*r - mgr)/((I/r) + m)

Now as much as i would like to plug in values i am usually satisfied with the variable solution only. I hope this helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?