Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Torque Calculation & Error Question

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a problem from an experiment wherein one must find the point of equilibrium for a horizontally-projected rod that hinges from it's left endpoint. I have already performed the experiment, and now have to calculate the error by comparing the torques pulling down on the rod to the torque pulling up via a string looped around a pulley to a hanging mass. This must be done in two specific scenarios.

Givens:

Mass, length of rod: .1131kg, .577m
    W1 weight attached to rod, dist. from hinge: .1177kg, .38m
    W2 weight attached to rod, dist. from hinge: .2502kg, .529m
    W3 weight attached to string: .2502kg
    String Mount's dist from hinge: .43m

The two scenarios change the angles of the rod to the horizontal, and the pulling string to the rod.

First scenario: Angle to horizontal = 0 degrees, Angle of string to rod = 55 degrees.
    Second scenario: : Angle to horizontal = 47 degrees, Angle of string to rod = 90 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

I = (mr^2)/3
    T = Fr(sin [theta]) = I[alpha]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have computed all of the torques that I can; they are listed below. My problem is that I don't know how to factor in the instrinsic torque of the rod itself.

Trqe of W1: .438
    Trqe of W2: 1.297

Gravity is 9.8m/s^2

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted