Calculating Torque for Car with Hub Motor - Yanikomer

In summary, To make a car reach 40 km/h in 1 minute, the necessary torque for the hub motor must be calculated. This requires calculating the acceleration needed and taking into account the frictional and inertial forces. Equations for these calculations can be found from reliable sources.
yanikomer
i am making a car and i will use hub motor on it.

car+driver=150kg
i want the car to reach 40 km/h in 1 min.
so i need to calculate the required torque for the hub motor to move the car and make the car to reach required speed.

what are the equations to calculate this?

thank you for your help

yanikomer

Engineering news on Phys.org
calculate the acceleration required. Torque requirement is the frictional torque(at bearings, wheels etc) plus the inertia torque of the system.

is there any source that i can find the equations about it ?

thank you for your help.

use a = dv/dt to calculate the acceleration. Required force is the inertial force m*a plus the friction

1. What is torque and why is it important for cars with hub motors?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In the case of cars with hub motors, torque is important because it is what allows the wheels to turn and move the car forward. Without enough torque, the car would not be able to accelerate or maintain speed.

2. How is torque calculated for a car with a hub motor?

The formula for calculating torque is torque = force x distance. In the case of a car with a hub motor, the force would be the power output of the motor and the distance would be the radius of the wheel. So the equation would be torque = power x wheel radius.

3. What factors can affect the torque of a car with a hub motor?

The power of the motor, the size and weight of the car, the gear ratio, and the overall efficiency of the motor can all affect the torque of a car with a hub motor. Additionally, external factors such as road conditions and incline can also impact the torque needed to move the car forward.

4. How does torque impact the performance of a car with a hub motor?

The torque of a car with a hub motor directly affects its acceleration and overall speed. A higher torque allows for quicker acceleration and the ability to maintain higher speeds, while a lower torque may result in slower acceleration and a lower top speed.

5. Can torque be increased in a car with a hub motor?

Yes, torque can be increased in a car with a hub motor through various methods such as using a more powerful motor, optimizing the gear ratio, and improving the overall efficiency of the motor. However, it is important to note that increasing torque also means consuming more energy, so a balance must be struck between torque and energy consumption for optimal performance.