How Is Torque Calculated in a Circular Coil within a Magnetic Field?

In summary, torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis, represented by the symbol "τ". It is directly related to circular loop as it is the force that causes the loop to rotate. The two main factors that affect torque in a circular loop are the magnitude of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. To calculate torque in a circular loop, you can use the formula τ = F * r, with the resulting unit being Newton-meters (Nm). In real-life applications, torque is essential in rotating machinery, engines, vehicles, and sports such as gymnastics and figure skating, as well as a fundamental concept in physics for understanding rotational motion.
dgresch
The maximum torue experienced by a circular, one-turn, coil in a 0.75T magnetic field is 8.4x10-4Nm. If the coil current is 3.7A, find the coil wire length.

Homework Equations

τ=Fr
F=ILBsinθ ?
r=L

The Attempt at a Solution

(8.4x10-4Nm)=[(3.7A)L(0.75T)sin90]L
L=0.017m

Can I do this? I don't know how else I'd get the length with the given values.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I figured out its just B=u0NI/2r and I take C=2pie *r to give me length

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically represented by the symbol "τ" and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How is torque related to circular loop?

Torque is directly related to circular loop because it is the force that causes the loop to rotate. In circular loop, torque is applied at a distance from the center of the loop, causing it to rotate around the center point.

What factors affect torque in a circular loop?

The two main factors that affect torque in a circular loop are the magnitude of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The larger the force or the longer the distance, the greater the torque.

How is torque calculated in a circular loop?

To calculate torque in a circular loop, you can use the formula τ = F * r, where τ is torque, F is the force applied, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The resulting unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm).

What is the significance of torque in real-life applications?

Torque plays a crucial role in many real-life applications, such as rotating machinery, engines, and vehicles. It is also essential in sports, such as gymnastics and figure skating, where athletes use torque to perform spins and rotations. In physics, torque is a fundamental concept used to understand the rotational motion of objects.