1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque Equation

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1
    how does one prove [tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex] for continious mass distribution where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the net external torque along the axis of rotation [tex]I[/tex] is the moment of inertia,and [tex] \alpha[/tex] is the angular accelaration ....
    i know the proof when the mass distribution is discrete...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

look at your discrete version and see how you can turn the sum into an integral ... eventually, i think the integral get absorbed in the definition of I (moment of inertia)

4. Jun 17, 2007 #3
    well taht doesn't happen ...because the discrete version necissates teh existance of point like particles...what does ahppen that thsi turns out to be a very good approximation...using the fact that as the mesh value of the riemann sum decrease it converges to the riemann integral; for a closed bounded function

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook