Calculating Torque for F1: 50N at d1-d3

• Thread starter cdornz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the problem involves finding the torque about a given point when a force of 50N is applied at a distance of 10cm from the point, with additional information about other distances provided. The solution involves using the torque equation, but since the force is not at the center of gravity, a diagram would be helpful for clarification. The final solution should result in a zero torque about the given point.
cdornz

Homework Statement

What is the torque about a?
F1 = 50N (located between d2 and d3)
d1 = 9cm
d2 = 10cm
d3 = 8 cm

Homework Equations

T=(F)(Lever Arm)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm extremely rusty with this material, but I realize I can't quite use the torque equation since the force isn't at the center of gravity. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide a complete description of the problem. Where's a? What are d1, d2, and d3? A diagram would help.

This is what I worked it out to be, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Attachments

• 979605_10151935810553056_1197671282_n.jpg
    979605_10151935810553056_1197671282_n.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 452
cdornz said:
This is what I worked it out to be, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Looks good to me.

thank you! and just one more question - slightly related to torque equations in general. When the force is exerted in that direction, it is considered a moment and therefore equal to 0 correct? Because no actual force is exerted on that line? So I would then think that the torque about p would be zero.

Attachments

• 973349_10151935821238056_437964306_n.jpg
    973349_10151935821238056_437964306_n.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 410
cdornz said:
thank you! and just one more question - slightly related to torque equations in general. When the force is exerted in that direction, it is considered a moment and therefore equal to 0 correct? Because no actual force is exerted on that line? So I would then think that the torque about p would be zero.
The lever arm is the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. In this case, the line of action of the force passes through p, so the lever arm and thus the torque is zero. Force is exerted, of course, but no torque.

1. How do you calculate torque for F1?

To calculate torque for F1, you need to multiply the force (F) applied by the distance (d) from the pivot point. The formula for torque is T = F x d.

2. What does the unit of measurement for torque mean?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm). This means that 1 Nm is equal to the amount of force required to rotate an object around a pivot point at a distance of 1 meter.

3. Why is torque important in F1 racing?

Torque is important in F1 racing because it determines the rotational force of the car's engine and its ability to accelerate and maintain speed on the track. It also plays a role in the car's handling and stability on corners.

4. What is the difference between torque and horsepower?

Torque and horsepower are related but different measurements. Torque measures the rotational force of an object, while horsepower measures the rate at which work is done. In F1 racing, torque is more important for acceleration and handling, while horsepower is more important for top speed.

5. Can you calculate torque for multiple forces?

Yes, you can calculate torque for multiple forces by adding up the individual torques for each force. This is known as the principle of superposition, where the total torque is equal to the sum of all the individual torques.