1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque Equation

1. May 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the torque about a?
    F1 = 50N (located between d2 and d3)
    d1 = 9cm
    d2 = 10cm
    d3 = 8 cm

2. Relevant equations
    T=(F)(Lever Arm)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm extremely rusty with this material, but I realize I can't quite use the torque equation since the force isn't at the center of gravity. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Please provide a complete description of the problem. Where's a? What are d1, d2, and d3? A diagram would help.

4. May 31, 2013 #3
    This is what I worked it out to be, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Attached Files:

5. May 31, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Looks good to me.

6. May 31, 2013 #5
    thank you! and just one more question - slightly related to torque equations in general. When the force is exerted in that direction, it is considered a moment and therefore equal to 0 correct? Because no actual force is exerted on that line? So I would then think that the torque about p would be zero.

Attached Files:

7. May 31, 2013 #6

Doc Al

The lever arm is the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. In this case, the line of action of the force passes through p, so the lever arm and thus the torque is zero. Force is exerted, of course, but no torque.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted