How Much Force is Needed to Hold a Flagpole Motionless?

• Thread starter thousandsaints
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation is about a problem where a man is trying to raise a flagpole by pulling on a rope attached to the top of the pole. The question is asking for the force needed to hold the pole motionless in this position. The man needs to take into account the torque caused by the weight of the pole and the torque caused by his pulling on the rope. By setting these two torques equal to each other, the man can solve for the force needed to hold the pole in place. However, in the calculations provided, there are some errors such as using the wrong length and angle, which may lead to an incorrect answer.
thousandsaints
I really need help understanding this problem. I'd be really thankful if someone could explain it to me.

Homework Statement

A man is attempting to raise a 7.5 m long, 29 kg flagpole that has a hinge at the base by pulling on a rope attached to the top of the pole. The figure of the problem is below as an attachment

With what force does the man have to pull on the rope to hold the pole motionless in this position?

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex]=F*r[tex]\bot[/tex]

Net torque = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the torque caused the weight of the flagpole, and then the torque caused by the man. From that I tried finding the force which the man exerts. But I can't find the correct answer.

Torque from gravity = w*r[tex]\bot[/tex] =mg*Lcos([tex]\Theta[/tex]) =(9.81*29)*7.5cos30 = 1848 Nm

Torque from the man = F*r[tex]\bot[/tex] = F*Ltan[tex]\Theta[/tex] = F*7.5tan20 = F*2.73m

The two torque values should equal each other. so...

1848 Nm = F*2.73m
F= 1848 Nm / 2.73
F= 676.8 N

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 817
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question asking for? You haven't really stated that.

Your general method will work assuming your trying to find equilibrium (i.e. the pole isn't moving).
The problem with the details of your calculation however, is the gravity.
For any uniform (in density) object, you can treat the force of gravity as acting on the center of mass (not the end of the pole which you have done in the equation).

It might help if you draw a free body diagram of the pole, to help visualize the difference in radii.

sorry about that. I edited the post above.

The question is:
With what force does the man have to pull on the rope to hold the pole motionless in this position?

Welcome to PF!

thousandsaints said:
Torque from gravity = w*r =mg*Lcos() =(9.81*29)*7.5cos30 = 1848 Nm

Torque from the man = F*r = F*Ltan = F*7.5tan20 = F*2.73m

Hi thousandsaints! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(You haven't said, but I assume you're taking torques about the end of the pole on the ground).

In the first equation, you only need half the length (as lzkelley says)! :rolleyes:

In the second equation, I suspect you've drawn the wrong right-angled triangle … it isn't tan20. :smile:

1. What is torque equilibrium?

Torque equilibrium is a state where an object is balanced and not rotating, meaning that all the forces acting on the object produce zero net torque.

2. How is torque equilibrium different from force equilibrium?

Force equilibrium refers to a state where the forces acting on an object are balanced and the object is not accelerating, while torque equilibrium specifically refers to the balancing of rotational forces.

3. What is the equation for torque equilibrium?

The equation for torque equilibrium is Στ = 0, where Στ represents the sum of all the torques acting on the object.

4. How do you solve a torque equilibrium problem?

To solve a torque equilibrium problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective distances from the axis of rotation. Then, use the equation Στ = 0 to set up and solve for the unknown variable.

5. What are some real-life examples of torque equilibrium?

Some real-life examples of torque equilibrium include a seesaw, a balance scale, and a bicycle wheel spinning smoothly on its axis.