Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque estimate ?

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    Guys, I have a solar panel screwed onto a shaft which connects directly to a servo motor shaft. How much should the torque rating of the servo be to be able to rotate it ? I mean an estimate of the minimum torque required. The panel weighs 0.8kg plus a few grams for the solar panel holder (made of perspex). No gears are used.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

You'll need an estimate of either the radius of gyration or the moment of inertia about the rotating axis. You will also have to either assume or specify a rate of angular acceleration about that axis.
  4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    I would need the servo shaft to rotate a total of 135 degrees, rotating a few degrees every half an hour for eight hours (It will operate like a stepper, stepping during each hour). The speed of rotation is not important, as long as it rotates. The panel's length is 32cm and height is 18 cm. It is a sun tracker.

There will also be another servo to rotate the round base.

Pls see diagram attached below.

Does this help ?

Attached Files:

5. Feb 17, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

If the collector is balanced, and with the angular velocity being small, the torque required from the motor is tiny. I'd look into a telescope clock drive (if they still make them). Otherwise, you can get a stepper-motor upgrade kit, but they are more expensive than one that just plugs in and runs at the clock rate.
  6. Feb 17, 2008 #5
    How tiny ? The panel weighs 0.8kg. Is this servo sufficient (3.40 kg-cm torque) ?

What about the servo at the bottom (there will be some bearings below the base) ? It seems like the top would be a bit heavy. The whole frame will be made of perspex.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?