Calculating Torque Friction Between Pipes with Contact Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses two pipes inserted in each other, with the internal pipe made of PVC and the external pipe made of plastic, both with a 50mm diameter. They rub against each other for a maximum of 180 degrees in both clockwise and anticlockwise directions, and can also slide by 80mm in a helical style. The goal is to estimate the frictional torque consumed, taking into account a force of 1000N acting on the external pipe at its center. The contact pressure between the pipes can be calculated by dividing the force by the product of the diameter and length. The speaker suggests experimenting to get a more accurate figure and asks about how to submit the figure.
sadanand08
I have two pipes inserted in each other .ID(internal pipe-PVC)=OD(external pipe-plastic)=50mm. They rub each other for 180 degree max in clockwise and anticlockwise direction, also slide by 80mm max (say in helical style). I wish to estimate the frictional torque consumed. I know the external cylinder has force in one direction @1000N acting at its center (at endcap).

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the contact pressure between the pipes? You can at least get a figure to start with, although I would suggest you start experimenting a bit.

ank_gl said:
What is the contact pressure between the pipes? You can at least get a figure to start with, although I would suggest you start experimenting a bit.

How to submit the figure?

How to submit the figure? Contact pressure=Force/(diameter*length). Is it the same?

What is torque friction between pipes?

Torque friction between pipes is the resistance to rotation caused by the contact between two or more pipes. It is a common phenomenon in pipelines and can affect the efficiency and safety of fluid flow.

How is torque friction between pipes calculated?

Torque friction between pipes can be calculated using the formula T = F * r, where T is the torque, F is the friction force, and r is the radius of the pipe. The friction force can be determined using the friction coefficient and the normal force between the pipes.

What factors can affect torque friction between pipes?

Some factors that can affect torque friction between pipes include the type of fluid being transported, the roughness of the pipe surface, the temperature of the fluid, the diameter and length of the pipe, and the material of the pipes.

How can torque friction between pipes be reduced?

Torque friction between pipes can be reduced by using smoother pipe surfaces, proper lubrication, and reducing the contact surface area between pipes. Additionally, using materials with lower friction coefficients and maintaining consistent pipe diameter can also help reduce torque friction.

Why is torque friction between pipes important in pipeline design?

Torque friction between pipes is an important consideration in pipeline design because it can affect the overall efficiency and safety of fluid flow. High levels of torque friction can result in increased energy consumption and potential damage to the pipes, while low levels can lead to fluid leakage and loss of pressure.