1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque from inertia

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    a vehicle is moving at 100 km/hr. the foot is lifted off the accelerator, and the vehicle decelerates, if a mechanism is introduced to absorb the toque from the differential gear(bevel ring gear). and it decelerates the vehicle from 100 km/hr to 50 km/hr. what would be the amount of torque absorbed.

it is kind of a similar scenario where a flywheel under motion is decelerated and torque is produced.
    in the vehicle scenario am not sure how to use the moment of inertia

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think without additional data about the setup, it is impossible to answer the question.

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    well lets say a vehicle is moving at 100 km/hr, and the foot is raised off the accelerator, it is leveled road . and the vehicle is aloved to decelerate. at this point the bevel ring gear of the diffrentil of the vehicle would still countinue to rotate as the wheels are rotating. how could i find the torque of the rotating bevil ring gear ??

5. Apr 14, 2013 #4

russ_watters

You need to know the mass of the car and gear ratio.

6. Apr 15, 2013 #5
    well i do have the weight of the vehicle as well as the gear ratio

could u give me some calculations i could use ??

7. Apr 15, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Without additional data, there is nothing you could use in a calculation.

8. Apr 15, 2013 #7

russ_watters

Acceleration = torque at the wheels / wheel radius / mass

9. Apr 16, 2013 #8
    could u please elaborate a bit more, as in its the acceleration of the vehicle we r toking here, and is it the mass of the vehicle itself tht we are talking ??

10. Apr 16, 2013 #9

russ_watters

Yes to both.

11. Apr 18, 2013 #10
    thanks a lot for ur input, could u give me any reference to the formula u have supplied me with ,
    and is it
    acceleration = [torque at the wheels/wheel radios]/mass
    or
    acceleration= torque at the wheels /[wheel radios/mass]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook