Torque Calc: Find Torque from Force F, Vector r

In summary, the resulting torque acting on the pebble is calculated by taking the cross product of the position vector r and the force vector F. This can be computed in terms of components or by using a 3 x 3 matrix and taking the determinant. For part b of the question, a new displacement vector must be found from the given point to the point defined by r.
gvcalamike
Force F = (4.59 N)i - (6.29 N)k acts on a pebble with position vector r = (3.46 m)j - (4.51 m)k, relative to the origin. What is the resulting torque acting on the pebble about (a) the origin and (b) a point with coordinates (3.16 m, 0, -4.97 m)?*The force F is a vector, as is r, I just don't know how to get the vector symbol above it. i, j, k are "i hat, j hat, k hat, I don't know how to get the symbol above those either. Sorry, only my second post.

Attempt at a solution:

I have no idea where to begin. I think the answer will be the cross product of r x F, but our book doesn't give a good example of cross products. Wouldn't you shift the force vector so that the tail is at the origin O?

Physics news on Phys.org

[itex]\mathbf{\tau} = \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{F}[/tex]
You can compute the cross product in terms of components.

For two vectors [itex]\mathbf{a} = a_x \hat{\imath} + a_y \hat{\jmath}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{b} = b_x \hat{\imath} + b_y \hat{\jmath}[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b} = (a_xb_y-a_yb_x) \hat{k}[/itex].

You can get this by FOIL-ing the terms or writing the cross product as a 3 x 3 matrix and taking the determinant:
[tex]
\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b} = \begin{vmatrix}
\hat{\imath} & \hat{\jmath} & \hat{k} \\
a_x & a_y & 0 \\
b_x & b_y & 0
\end{vmatrix}
[/tex]

For part b, find the new displacement vector from the point to the point defined by r.

Thanks! I got it.

1. How do you calculate torque using force and vector?

To calculate torque, you need to multiply the force (F) applied to an object by the perpendicular distance or vector (r) from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation: torque = F x r.

2. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This occurs when the force and vector are in opposite directions, resulting in a counter-clockwise rotation. In contrast, a positive torque would result in a clockwise rotation.

3. What are the units of torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm). In some cases, torque may also be measured in pound-feet (lb-ft) or pound-inches (lb-in).

4. How does the direction of the force and vector affect torque?

The direction of the force and vector will determine the direction of the resulting torque. If the force is applied perpendicular to the vector, the torque will be at its maximum. If the force is applied parallel to the vector, the torque will be zero.

5. How is torque used in real-life applications?

Torque is used in many real-life applications, such as in engineering, mechanics, and physics. It is essential in understanding how forces can cause rotational motion and is often used in designing and building machines, vehicles, and structures.