Calculate Torque in 12.2m Crane - 18kN Load, 67kN Tension

In summary: If so, where is that point?In summary, the 12.2m crane weighs 18 kN and is lifting a 67-kN load. The hoisting cable (tension T1) passes over a pulley at the top of the crane and attaches to an electric winch in the cab. THe pendant cable (tension T2), which supports the crane, is fixed to the top of the crane. Find the tensions in the two cables and the force Fp at the pivot.
xicedcandyx
1. The 12.2m crane weighs 18 kN and is lifting a 67-kN load. The hoisting cable (tension T1) passes over a pulley at the top of the crane and attaches to an electric winch in the cab. THe pendant cable (tension T2), which supports the crane, is fixed to the top of the crane. Find the tensions in the two cables and the force Fp at the pivot.

There is a picture with this, but I can't upload it right now. The crane makes and angle of 40degrees with the cord holding the load (67 kN). T1 on the other side of the crane makes an angle of 5 degrees and T2 makes an angle of 10 degrees with the crane. I can upload a picture of this later, but this will only be possible after probably 8 tonight.

2. Torque=rT

3. I think I might have T1, 67 kN.

Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
5b6y5l.jpg

if that doesn't work,

http://i30.tinypic.com/5b6y5l.jpg

a rough sketch i just drew

You need to show us your work. I assume that the pivot point is the upper right corner of the yellow rectangle (where the boom attaches to the cab).

Hint: you probably need a more general version of the relevant equation that you listed. Hint: there are more relevant equations.

I drew a line of action through the point of application (the pulley at the top) and a lever arm.

lever arm = r sin 5 = 12.2m * sin 5 = 1.063m
1.063m * 67 kN = 71.24 kN*m

That's my work, but I don't know if I did it right. I'm not sure I drew the line of action right because I don't know which direction the torque is going in. Also, I don't know the sign of the torque.

As for T2, is it simply 67 kN+ 18kN?

OK, I will make more specific hints.

So far, you are showing a torque calculation, but it is not clear to me that you know why this calculation will help you answer the question. What principles (i.e. laws) of physics should you apply to solve this problem, and what is your reasoning for this? The important thing here is to justify why they are important, because this will tell you how to solve the problem. The rest is details.

How many forces are applied to the boom? (I count five.) Can you count them up? Where, and in what directions, are these forces applied to the boom?

BTW, I believe that you are correct about the value of T1.

xicedcandyx said:
I drew a line of action through the point of application (the pulley at the top) and a lever arm.

lever arm = r sin 5 = 12.2m * sin 5 = 1.063m
1.063m * 67 kN = 71.24 kN*m

That's my work, but I don't know if I did it right. I'm not sure I drew the line of action right because I don't know which direction the torque is going in. Also, I don't know the sign of the torque.

As for T2, is it simply 67 kN+ 18kN?

I'm not sure I follow, but please reconsider, keeping the following in mind.

Does a force with a specified line of action, have a moment about a point on that line of action?

What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. In this case, the torque of the crane can be calculated by multiplying the load of 18kN by the distance of 12.2m, resulting in a torque of 219.6kNm.

What is the load and tension of the crane?

The load refers to the weight or force being applied to the crane, which in this case is 18kN. The tension refers to the force exerted on the crane's structure, which in this case is 67kN.

How does the length of the crane affect the torque?

The length of the crane plays a significant role in determining the torque. As the length increases, the torque also increases. This is because the longer the crane, the greater the distance between the pivot point and the point where the force is applied, resulting in a greater torque.

What factors can affect torque in a crane?

Aside from the length of the crane, other factors that can affect torque include the weight and position of the load, as well as any external forces such as wind or uneven ground. It is important to consider these factors when calculating torque to ensure the stability and safety of the crane.

How is torque used in the design and operation of cranes?

Torque is a crucial factor in the design and operation of cranes. It helps determine the maximum weight a crane can lift safely, as well as the stability and balance of the crane. Engineers use torque calculations to design cranes that are capable of withstanding various loads and external forces, while operators use torque measurements to ensure the safe and efficient use of the crane.