1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque in an MRI scanner

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    There are (at least) two issues regarding the presence of ferromagnetic materials around an MRI scanner (of strength e.g. 3 Tesla).
    (i) that something (e.g. scissors in a health worker's pocket) becomes a projectile, and
    (ii) that an implant may experience a twisting force (e.g. ferromagnetic shrapnel or bullets or a needle or other implanted medical device with ferromagnetic parts).

I am trying to determine the equation relating the torque τ experienced by an object, to
    the magnetic susceptibility of a material χ
    the static magnetic field strength B
    the volume of the material V
    the angle it makes with B, θ

I am stuck because my derivation doesn't agree with the textbooks I have. My working is:

The magnetisation of a sample which is not a permanent magnet is given by M=χH, where χ is the (dimensionless) magnetic susceptibility of the sample. We may also write B=μ[itex]_{0}[/itex](1+χ)=μ[itex]_{0}[/itex]μ[itex]_{r}[/itex]H=μH, where μ0 is the (constant) permeability of free space (units of henries per metre, or newtons per ampere squared), μ[itex]_{r}[/itex] is the (dimensionless) relative permeability of the sample to μ[itex]_{0}[/itex], μ is the magnetic permeability of the sample, B is the magnetic field strength as flux density (Tesla) and H is magnetic field strength given in ampere-turns per metre. We may write, then, M=χB/μ.

So, torque (τ) is given by τ = m x B (where m denotes the magnetic dipole moment, which equals the magnetisation of a sample (M) multiplied by the volume of the sample (V)). Thus, |τ| = mBsinθ where θ is the angle between the magnetic moment and the applied magnetic field. In terms of the magnetisability of a sample (χ), |τ| = χVB[itex]^{2}[/itex]sinθ/μ (using M=χB/μ and m=MV).

One textbook says |τ| [itex]\propto[/itex] χ[itex]^{2}[/itex]VB[itex]^{2}[/itex].
    It seems that either I am missing one “χ” or my textbook has one “χ” too many.
    Another says F[itex]_{rot}[/itex] [itex]\approx[/itex] χ[itex]^{2}[/itex]VB[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2Lμ[itex]_{0}[/itex], where L is the length of the object.

Thanks for any pointers.

Edit: sorry, probably this should be in the homework forum. I'd move it if I could.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted