Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque in Couette Flow

1. Apr 26, 2007 #1
    Hi there,

I'm attempting to solve a relatively simple problem on steady state rotational couette flow in a rotational viscometer.

There are two cylinders, one within the other, seperated by a layer of viscous fluid.

The internal cylinder is stationary, the external one is rotating at a given constant angular velocity with a given torque. End effects are ignored.

I have to find the general form of the tangential shear stress in the fluid as a function of the radius, r. I have set-up and simplified the tangential Navier Stokes equation with the given initial conditions and I am attempting to equate it to the tangential linear momentum equation, which simplifies to:

Sum of the forces acting on the control volume = 0.

The only force acting on the control volume is the applied torque. My question is: how do I use the torque which is applied to the outer cylinder?

Is it simply: F*(internal Radius of the outer cylinder) = torque
    or F = torque/(internal Radius of the outer cylinder)

Or do I have to do something more such as applying it over the entire surface of the outer cylinder?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted