1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque in wind turbine

1. Jul 19, 2016 #1
    【 mod note: moved to H/W forum so homework template is absent 】

Dear all
    i am trying to calculate torque in HAWT from the measurements using Rope brake dynamometer set up with a blower. i had wound a string over the turbine shaft. The string is connected to a spring balance on its one end and the other end have provisions to add weights.
    firstly i'd calculated the turbine free wheeling characteristics ie.. i allowed the turbine rotor to rotate due to blower wind (5m/s) and i applied load in steps of 10 gm and correspondingly i've noted the RPM (310 RPM). When a particular load is reached (200 grams) , the turbine shaft, does not able to overcome the load and stop its rotation. The blade length is 20 cm (0.2 m).
    The swept area = pi*r (squared) = 3.14*0.2*0.2 = 0.1256 m squared.
    Power available in wind is = 1/2 rho A V cubed= 0.5*1.225*5*5*5 = 9.6125 watts

from the measurements i got
    torque = (load - spring bal. reading)*9.81*(radius of shaft +radius of rope)
    torque (Nm) = (0.01-0.001)*9.81*0.011 = 0.00088Nm

power produced = torque *angular velocity=0.00088*31.34= 0.0304 watts

The power produced is very much lower than power available (Cp is very low). where i am going wrong,,any one please help....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your equation seems OK but...

Have a think about the expected efficiency of a turbine that has no load (or a very small load).

Work the numbers for the other data points and see what you get. I'd use a spreadsheet so you can plot some graphs later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted